1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unsure

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by youtubeobsessed, Dec 9, 2014.

1. youtubeobsessed

Hi! I'm 14 and gay (maybe bi, not sure). I haven't told anyone, at all. I really want to come out, buy I'm scared to.
    Here's my situation:
    -small town, Catholic high school
    -neither of my parents are homophobic
    -my female friends would be ok with it but some of my male friends are homophobes (I have about equal number of guys and girls as friends)
    -theres only a handful of openly gay guys at my school (they're all very flamboyant) who aren't made fun of to their faces but people talk shit about them behind their back

I don't know whether to come out or not. I'm not overly feminine or masculine, (if you know who Troye Sivan is, I have a really similar demeanour/personality to him) but I think some people think that I might be gay and others have no clue. My moms hinted about it to me (if you ever were gay thats fine) and I know that one of my good friends, she definitely has her suspicions. :lol: I get really high grades and I don't want a teacher to be homophobic and penalize me for being openly gay. I also don't want to lose friends because I'm gay. I'm kind of popular and I don't want to have no one. I can't just tell one friend at school because, you know how high school is, no one can keep a secret! I don't know what to do, whether to come out or not. :icon_redf Advice?

2. Rainbows~Exist

I say go for it. If you do come out your parents will accept you and even if you do lose friends because of it then I'm sorry to say they're not really friends; if they were your friends then they'd accept you for who you are. As for the other gay guys at your school well... yes they're flamboyant but you're not. By coming out you can prove to everyone that gays aren't defined to one particular type of person. I really think that if you want to come out then you should. You seem to be in a good position to come out and being openly gay is going to allow you to show people that you're not afraid and that you're comfortable with yourself.

P.S. I'm pretty sure teachers aren't allowed to penalize you for being gay...

P.S.S. I was in a similar situation as you were in when I wanted to come out and trust me; no matter how bad you think everyone's reaction will be you'll be pleasantly surprised. I thought I'd lose people but in fact I gain friends and respect from those around me and throughout the school for coming out as gay.

3. Spartan1337

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yikes that's a tough situation bud. Practice coming out on here. Works like a charm.

You should know that being gay is absolutely NOTHING TO BE ASHAMED OF!! Whatever you feel is okay!! Anyone who thinks your feelings are wrong, is wrong.

Teachers can't penalize you for being gay. If they do you need to bring it up with your principle. It's illegal.

The way I am coming out is not really telling people I'm gay but when they ask me who my celeb crush is and stuff like that, I name an actor the same gender as me and when they ask me what kinda guy I want to marry, I say I wanna marry a woman. Works like a charm AND you don't get the entire town labeling you as gay with all the wonderful stereotypes people attach to it.

Good luck, my friend. May the force be with you.

#3 Spartan1337, Dec 9, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2014