1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

COming out to guys.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ArcusPuer, Oct 14, 2008.

1. ArcusPuer

Ok so i am 13, gay and out to almost 20 people.
    and i want to tell my one of my close male friends that im gay, because i really like him (as a friend) and sometimes my friends make small references to it and he asks "what?" and im always telling him to nvm...
    however i am a little worried as so far i have only told 2 other males, and well one was gay and the other i told over msn, (plus i already knew he had a couple of bi friends)

but what im wanting to know is, in your personal experiences how do straight males react to this kinda thing?
    im quite worried that he might automatically think I'm interested in him, which i am not in the slightest...
    help?

2. Vector

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The first person I came out to was my best friend (male). It may sound a little lame, but the words I used were to the effect of "I'm not coming onto you or anything, but I'm gay." It doesn't really roll off the tongue, but it gets the most important points across. And by throwing it in early, it re-enforces the message rather than having it mentioned as an after-thought.

I'm not you and I don't know your friend, so I dunno... But that's what worked for me. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Good Luck!

3. hairdye

i was worried about the same thing when I came out to my two guy best friends.

I was just like, "Theres something I want to tell you, but I have reservations, because I'm afraid you'll get the wrong idea." yada yada. And then I was finally just like, "I'm gay. I just don't want you to think I'm interested in you."

it worked pretty well. even though I hooked up with one of them later. ;x

4. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Usually straight friends react pretty well to someone coming out to them unless they are homophobic or have preconceived ideas about homosexuality. Usually they do take it pretty well and are actually happy that someone chose to confide in them. I wouldn't worry too much about that he might think you are interested in him. All you do is telling him about yourself, and giving him the chance to get to know a friend better....

5. Master Hade

Master Hade Guest

i have a total of two guy friends and both of them are uber religious !

6. george678

No i am same age :wink: just if he asks or you feel the need to say well i dont fancy you BTW.

7. No One

i know i hate that feeling as well but i wouldent worry about it if he is really as good a friend as you say he is he wont care

8. ArcusPuer

hey people thanks for all your advice,
    i told him today and he was kinda shocked for a couple of seconds (as he didnt suspect at all apparently) but he was then fin with it,
    we talked for a couple of hours actually, I know it will have changed our friendship a little, but perhaps its even been strengthened by me putting trust in him.
    thanks again for your advice! (Y)
    xx

9. george678

No problems are you going out?

10. ArcusPuer

oh god no! lol. i dont really like him like that, he's a great friend, kinda cute but it ends there with him. that and he is well and truly straight. there is another guy i would like to go out with, but recently he hasnt been talking to me so much so im kinda turned off a bit........ but meh, i mean i wouldnt have the guts to, A)if he is gay then i kinda just insulted him. B) even if he is, he could simply reject me.
    but i havent been obsessing TOO much recently (last two days)....
    but yeah i just realised i posted a thread about that guy already... ok gonna shut up now....

xx

11. george678

No problems ask him out.
    xxxxx

12. ArcusPuer

ah but if i ask him out then well he will know that i am gay. and im not sure im ready to do that with someone whom im not really close with, and if he decides to tell other people. im just not ready yet....

13. Matty

Just saying this as a tie-in...

It took me a long time to come out to my friends...and when I finally did, I thought to myself "Why didn't I sooner?".

We all have to discover when we are ready to say something ourselves, but if your friends are truly committed to YOU, then they are not going to care. I decided to let friends know at a party in May of this year...the party wasn't mine or anything, but many of my friends were there....I just told them because I felt comfortable with them and they simply replied "Great! I am glad you said something." So, what I say is, wait until you are comfortable enough with your friends, and they with you, that you know your orientation being out there won't change their perception of you.

14. george678

So dont be afraid!! I told all my friends (all guys)this week although you get the odd questions it does feel sooo much better.

15. XxTheNumbOnexX

Well, Ive only told 3 or 4 guys. and ALOOOOOOT of girls. Everyone else who knows just found out. But ya, I'm not good at tellign guys for some weird reason...doesnt matter if I like them or not, I just don't feel comfortable telling them...

16. Enaithor

I think a lot of straight guys if they make occasional homophobic jokes but don't show any extreme objection to gayness then they would probably joke less about it if they were with someone they knew was gay?

I reckon he will react fine if you tell him you're not interested in him

17. Chris

i think sometimes str8 guys act gayer than gay guys Ex.) this past tues. on the football bus (i'm waterboy) one guy had a erection and one of his friends touched it to see if it was his penis, it was (BTW it was huge!) then he didn't have a prob with it, one of his oher friends got one too and they tried to see who was bigger(by measuring with hands)! I wanted to touch too! then the guy who touched him tried to get "hard" but he couldn't, and the original one with the erection got himself "off" by sliding his penis back and forth in his pants! PS i was hard too! then i appeared to be sleeping (laying on back) and thought of dirty stuff so i could get hard and be noticed and i was then they kinda tapped my penis to ask me if i had an erection, i kinda smirked. PS none of them know i'm bi so i was safe completely. I wish i could go back and touch his penis!

18. george678

Lol you devil!!^^^^^

19. Chris

^ i know, but it was awesome!

20. george678

Have u got a love life? :grin: