1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Explaining queer to people

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Phalange, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Phalange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm on my way out and I'm pretty confident in who I am.

I identify as queer. I know I'm not straight and I can see myself married to a woman in the future. However, I also experience attraction towards males but not to the extent I do with women. To simplify it, I prefer women but I'm open to people of other genders as well. I tried to find a label that would fit me. Bi, Pan and Lesbian/Gay all made me feel trapped in a way. Not because I'm not comfortable with being it, it just feels limiting. Like I leave out a part of me no matter what I identify as. I'm not confused, I'm queer and it feels right to me.

At this point, I've come out to five people I know in real life. Four of them asked what queer is. To these people I could explain both queer and why I identify as it more in depth, as they're my friends.

However, I won't always be able to do this. While I think this could be a great opportunity to inform, I may not have the time to go in depth all the time or just don't be in the mood for it etc.

So, does anyone have any advice on explaining queer in general in a simple way? Or just my situation? Should I just tell them I'm bi with a (strong) preference for women and be done with it?

I appreciate any advice on this. Thank you.

2. Hexagon

When I was younger, and less aquainted with queer issues, I couldn't understand why people would hesitate to label themselves. It was simple; if you like men and women, then you're bisexual. However, as you can see, I describe myself as queer as well now. I think the issue arises from a lack of understanding of the blurry lines. When asked, I'll tell people that I like everyone, but I'm kind of asexual, and it's confusing, and queer is how I feel most comfortable labelling myself. It means 'not straight', and beyond that, it's individually determined. Maybe you could adapt that for your own use.

3. White Knight

Hmm at first glance this one was easy.

Say bi and explain it to people who you can and who you think can understand. As bi has long standing with society while queer is fairly new concept... at least for old farts like me.

Then if you do that queer concept will stay in shadows. Maybe something in lines of "it is like bi but I like persons instead of gender" can be clearer explanation.. Tho' that might be wrong but that is what I understand from queer.

Good luck on your free life.

4. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    What about saying queer... and that its an umbrella term, meaning you might have a relationships with all kinds of people, but in your case you have a preference for ... (insert preference)

(*hug*)

5. FancyGummy

MA, UNITED STATES, FURTHER DETAILS UNKNOWN
    "Sometimes I like people."

6. Phalange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you all for your input. Each of your posts has actually helped.

Hexagon, I can relate to the asexual thing. While I know that I'm not asexual, I don't feel as sexual as people in general. So that's another thing with my sexual identity which makes it harder to define, I find.

'Not straight' and umbrella term might be enough of a definition for people. I easily start rambling though. But it might get easier the more used to it I get.

The thing with bi is that I feel like I'm expected to be able to talk about men the same way most straight women do. I guess it could work in some cases though, depending on the person.

7. NotSureWhatIam

You know at first bringing Q into the LGBTQ thing bothered me because I thought of queer as an offensive word for Gay/Lesbian people. I still wish there was a better word for it, as it still isn't my favorite word. But I didn't know it meant it's own thing. This was sort of educational for me, thanks. :slight_smile: +1 for Regina Phelange!

8. Phalange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I totally understand, At first I was hesitant to identify as queer, as I know people don't always appreciate that word (I don't blame them). However, I figure I should be free to apply it to myself as long as I don't apply it to other people.

Yay! Haha.

9. MrK21

Queer is anybody that does not fall under the norms of being a masculine male born with a penis only seeking a feminine female born with a vagina, or vice versa.

10. NotSureWhatIam

That too, you can call yourself a trrantula for all I care haha. Far be it from me to tell people what they should identify as.(*hug*)

11. Phalange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Perfect!

(*hug*)

12. PositivelyMe

Out Status:
    Some people
    I usually define it as "you fall in love with people, not parts" followed by a description of their preference.

13. DelvSeigible

Honestly its easier too know people and tell people that you re coming out. Naturally some people will want you to stay as being cisgender even if you tell them you're not cisgender... Life is that way tell them the things you went through to get to this point and state of mind. Life is what you make from scratch not the things you are given at birth. - The Mentalist

14. patternsofpetal

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I would also prefer to identify as queer, however, I can't really expect people to understand that.(not in my country at least) Bisexuality might be a concept that more people are familiar with and can grasp, but I understand that this does not fully describe your attractions either, because I also feel like it's not the best term for me- sexuality is just so much more complex from my point of view, although I accept that for some people it's totally binary, I do not fit boxes or pre-determined categories/lables. I guess you could try and explain that to people, if you have the chance and time, and if you don't, bisexual may be a term for lack of a better one.

15. RainbowMan

Here's the thing with queer from my perspective: what queer means differs to everyone. If you identify as queer to me, I'm wont to say something like "what does being queer mean to you?", because to every person that identifies that way, there's a separate definition of it, and that's perfectly fine and normal!

I guess what I'm trying to say is that even among people in the LGBTQQ community (yes, I added questioning in there. I could make more alphabet soup but it's just too much in my mind :grin:) you're going to have questions about what queer means, since it's so different for different people.

16. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

Queer means not straight, but it is also a way of rejecting other people trying to bring you down. By using a term they use to try to offend you to describe yourself, you are reclaiming it.

17. butHitlerisDead

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Queer used to be an offensive slur for a gay man but now it means someone who is not straight and/or cis-gendered

18. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Queer in my opinion, is everything that is not both heterosexual and cisgender. Even kinsey 6 lesbians will sometimes refer to themselves as 'queer women' if they don't like the term lesbian.

I also find it easy to use for myself because even if I -am- a complete kinsey 6, I also feel like I have no sexual label. I'm in between being both asexual and sexual, and always hated the term 'demisexual', so it helps.

I would just say It's anyone in the LGBT community that doesn't want a strict label.

19. Phalange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for all the answers! Even though I know what queer is, hearing others explain it definitely helps a lot.

20. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Queer attraction to genders
    I don't use queer because I think it's more for people who are multisexual plus it's too vague it could also mean not straight but I would use terms like queer women to group all lgbt women . But I wouldn't use it for myself bit it's great if you're open to all genders .
    Anyway good luck