1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Only Openly Gay People

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Geist, Oct 14, 2008.

1. Geist

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Now if you have never been to this Spokane Washington it is a fairly conservative place. Homosexuality isn't necessarily seen as horribly evil by most people here, but to most it is seen as a sort of curious phenomenon that only occurs in the more liberal areas. So most people here ignore gay rights and just pretend that gay people simply don't exist and don't really feel one way or another on any issue regarding them. I have never in my entire life seeing two men or women so much as holding hands.

Over the past year I have come to learn that there is indeed a gay community here, but it is very secretive and very behind closed doors. While I know this is not true of everyone I have learned of a great amount of promiscuity that exists in this town. Many people simply keep it secret and after dark go to gay bars and find someone to have sex with. Almost everyone who I liked I found out later was merely interested in me because they saw me as young and easy to manipulate.

Then I met my knew boyfriend (who I will refer to as Gerry). I know he is different from the others and he is truly capable of a true loving relationship. Unlike most of the gay people I know I am willing to hold hands in public. I kiss him goodbye when surrounded by people. We don't worry about what those around us think because all that matters is that we have each other.

While this is great there is a sense of isolation. I feel like Gerry and I are the only ones who are willing to stand up and not be afraid. I'm sure there are others there has to be, but I have never seen them. I see gay couples that I know and they keep distance from each other when in public and shake hands goodbye, but when in an accepting environment they are far more affectionate for lack of a better word. I know it is wrong to tell them what to do but I just wish I knew some other people who were willing to not be afraid and stand up for what they know is right and not be pushed around.

2. Pepsi

Pepsi Guest

Well maybe through them seeing that you and "Gerry" are open and no one cares that your that way, maybe that will make them realize that they can be that way too.

3. Geist

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well unfortunately there are plenty who do care. Day in and day out we face glares from strangers people stare and whisper to others when we pass by holding hands. While for the most part we are able to brush them off it feels like we are so very alone here.

4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The CW on this is that you can change your own way of thinking, but it's difficult to change others'. All you can do, as stated above, is lead by example. If they choose to pick up on that, great, but you can't force them to. Sucks, but there it is.

Lex

5. I think it's good that you decide to stand up because a lot of people wouldn't, myself included. You never know, you may influence others and have more people stand up and not be afraid.

6. Ryesright

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    If you're comfortable with being open about your relationship and attraction for men, then why not just keep it up? Maybe you'll inspire others to do the same.

7. Kenny9210

Kenny9210 Guest

Well my boyfriend and I would hug and kiss goodbye in public, but I don't think either one of us is 100% comfortable. I get kinda nervous when I feel everyone is judging me, but we're trying. =]

8. Kenny9210

Kenny9210 Guest

I think headachey should be a status or mood on here. Thats how I'm currently feeling. Haha That reminds me of the joke my bf made, he bought me some advil and told me I could never use the headache excuse for "ya know". haha. I love him =]
    O...
    Off topic, sorry =/
    I can't think straight cuz I'm currently headachey, and the fact that I'm gay doesn't seem to help...