1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out in a few days, TIPS?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Gengar, Dec 12, 2014.

1. Gengar

So... I've finally decided to try telling a friend about my gender (genderfluid) when we go bowling this Sunday (in 2 days!). I just joined EC, so I couldn't ask earlier, but do any of you have some tips?

My friend is part of the same LGBTQ support group on campus that I'm in, but I have no idea about her orientation. So I think she will react supportively, but gender can be a funky thing to explain sometimes. Any help would be lovely, thank you! <3

2. Glalie

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My advice is explain everything as clearly as you can to begin with and don't be upset if she doesn't understand everything as well as you want her to. Be prepared to teach her what you'd like her to understand, that way if she doesn't get it right off the bat, you'll be prepared to explain it so that she can understand a little better. You are right when you say gender can be a really hard thing to explain.

If she's part of an LGBTQ support group, I don't think you'll have much problem, though. Even if she doesn't understand, she'll probably be willing to listen to what you have to say, and learn if she doesn't understand it all.

Good luck!(*hug*)

3. Wildside

Wildside Guest

ask your friend some questions about her interest in the support group. get her talking. ask her if she had any issues herself. tell her how hard you're finding it to come out. and you've done it, without too much thought! the fact that she is in the support group means at a minimum that she is SUPPORTive! good luck! let us know how it goes. (&&&)