1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to Anti-Gay Family and Friends

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by DWho11, Dec 13, 2014.

1. DWho11

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I am a closeted gay guy in college right now. I has taken me a long time to accept this about myself, and to be completely honest I am still having a hard time completely accepting myself. I guess I am unique in that I also am a devout Christian and strong conservative Republican. I just see being gay as another aspect of myself that shouldn't dictate my religious or political beliefs. My immediate and extended family is also very Christian and conservative. However, they have all made it clear that they do not believe in same-sex marraige and consider homosexuality to be a sin. My parents shielded me as a child and would never let me watch a television show that had a gay character. They always tried to avoid the topic entirely, but when they did address it they didn't hide their opinions on it. One of the members of my extended family is particularly homophobic. He makes it abundantly clear that he hates gay people and thinks they need to be taken out of our military and need to be fired from their jobs... My sister, who I am pretty close to, also doesn't particularly like gay people. Whenever there are gay characters or people on television she always makes a point to let it be known how she finds them to be "annoying." I am so afraid to come out to my family just because they have made it so clear they don't accept homosexuality. However, I can't keep this contained for much longer. It has been eating away at me for years and I feel so compelled to just let it all out so I can stop hiding who I am. I thought that maybe I could come out to some of my friends, however they also have made it clear they think homosexuality is a sin. I had at first wanted to come out to my best friend from high school. However, I decided to first test the waters a bit and tell her instead that I just supported gay people and didn't think there was anything wrong with homosexuality. Let's just say that she got pretty upset and didn't talk to me for several days. Things are better between us now, though whenever the topic gets brought up things can get heated. She has made it clear she thinks it is a sin. I just feel so discouraged that I will never be able to come out and I will just live my entire life closeted, never able to tell those I love who I really am. I really could use advise from those that have possibly been in a situation similar to this and maybe stories from those who also have been in this situation. Thanks!

2. antibinary

If you think it might be in anyway dangerous, don't. Your safety comes first.

3. Hell2theno

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Make sure you have a backup plan when you do decide to tell them. If you don't have your own home and they still support you, you may end up homeless and this is definitely not the way to go. You need to wait it out and make sure you are 100% financially independent from them, then you should come out. Until that point, I agree with antibinary and stay closeted for your own safety. Hope this helps! If you ever want a friendly chat, I'm always available, just post a message on my wall :slight_smile:

4. crazyDepression

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Agree With Both of them ^^ . Im gay and 14 , and I never want to tell my parents . But , hopefully when i finish my National Service (Military Service) and get my own place with 3 of my friends , then maybe ill tell them . I also have a backup plan that if i die early , my friend would help me tell them

5. DelvSeigible

Ugh its the worst... I come from a Catholic background... My childhood was for of zealots and devotees. I never was able to get myself to come out until several years ago. I am 20 it has been such a long road, and my road gets longer from here on out. I hope u keep up the courage to stand up for yourself no matter the things people say. Btw I personally quit the university i was attending this week because there is too many crazy things happening and I could not keep up with grade. I hope you have better luck then me at the time you come out. Join the LGBT community date some people... live life to the fullest w/o affecting negatively education wise. I wish you the best of luck and I want you to know that the things I say comes from experiences of not having those wonderful and meaningful relationship a person should establish during their life.