1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Acceptance

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Anonymous, Dec 13, 2014.

1. Anonymous

I came out to three of my closest friends in early July. They all live in a different city (I moved two years ago from there but we've kept in touch) and they have honestly been the most supportive an accepting friends I've ever known. First I came out to A, while we were texting really late at night and I just said it. I cried and cried and cried but she texted me back with all love. After two weeks I told T and F in a group chat with A in it as well and they gave me all love and support too. F is a guy so he found some novelty in being able to talk to a girl about girls. T seemed a little awkward at first but came around; same with A. These three people helped me through my stages of grieving and without them I don't think I would be at acceptance today. I know it's only three people, but it really is a huge step for me. In December of 2013 I came out as bi to a girl called Z who I used to think was my best friend. She lived the town I moved away from and we used to keep in touch every single day. I wrote Z a long letter and took a picture of it and sent it to her, and at first she was all ok whatever, but I have not talked to her since then. It made me feel so worthless to lose a friend like that, but I guess Z wasn't really a friend if she can't love me for something so stupid. I was so depressed for months, but when I sent that "ps im gay" text to A, and the way she reacted brought back a sense of worth. I couldn't be happier with my sexuality now, and even though I'm not ready to come out to more people yet, F, T, and A certainly have made me feel confident in myself.

I hope anyone who is going through that period of alone who reads this knows: coming out to people may seem scary, but choose someone who you trust to help you through this time and you won't have any regrets.

Wow this is deeper than the titanic.

2. VioletSpark

This post is of particular interest to me at the moment, for reasons I'll explain separately. Let me just say that I am in awe of your ability to move through the feelings of worthlessness over your former BFF, and into acceptance with your other friends. My therapist says (and I completely agree) that you really only need 5 good, close friends. The rest are generally acquaintances, really. And you're so right, this whole conversation topic is way deeper than the titanic, and any other sunken ship!

3. Wildside

Wildside Guest

no such thing as ONLY three people. as you said, it is a really HUGE step! it feels so great to come out. and we share that information with the people we choose. we don't need to post it on facebook for it to count. congratulations!!! and I really like and agree with what Violet Spark said about us only having a small group of real friends and the rest are acquaintances or something else. and it takes something like this to know who those friends are (or aren't!)