1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I come out to my parents now or if I'm with someone of the same sex?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by butHitlerisDead, Dec 14, 2014.

1. butHitlerisDead

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So I realized I was bisexual a couple years ago and have begun the process of coming out to people. As of now I'm out to 4 of my friends but I was wondering if and when I should make the move to tell my parents. If I was gay I probably would go ahead and tell them, but since there is the possibility I may never end up dating a girl should I just allow my parents to assume I'm straight unless I do date a woman? Or do you think it would be too much to come out to my parents and spring on them that I'm dating someone of the same sex at the same time? My parents aren't exactly accepting of the LGBTQ community, but they aren't exactly homophobic either. It's hard for me to gauge how they might react.

2. shinji

shinji Guest

Coming out brings something else to the table... The chance to be honest with your parents, the idea that you can now tell them everything you wanted to.

Weigh the risks and the reward. Do you think that the pain of hiding is worth, the initial shock they might receive if you do tell them?

By not telling them, you will be limiting yourself (subconsciously) in your pursuit of someone from the same sex.

My personal opinion is that you should come out, on your own terms, not because you "have" to because you've found someone special.

3. Iamqm

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    There isn´t really much left to add... shinji´s answer is perfect

I think you should tell them whenever you feel ready... but I don´t think you should let them believe that you´re straight just because it´s easier... that´s kind of "unfair" ... to them and to you....

4. butHitlerisDead

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't know. I might try to talk to them more about queer related issues in general first, but I've thought about it and I agree, I don't think it's a good idea to come out just because I'm dating a girl