1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

coming out at new school and moving

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by stolentardis, Dec 14, 2014.

1. stolentardis

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi everyone. I'm moving from Florida to New England. I am out to all of my friends but not anyone else at my old school. I have gotten a few comments about being gay at my old school but nothing major. There is a gay slur problem and it's preppy but I've never really gotten bullied. I dress pretty feminine. I have long hair but I never wear pink or a dress or anything like that. I really want to be out at my new school but I still want to stay at the level of femininity I'm at and I don't want to come out to my family. There are two schools I am looking at. One is super accepting. I just don't know if they will take me. The other school is a public school but is pretty accepting. How do I show that I'm out at my new school without coming out to my family? Also, please give me advice on New England, moving, culture shock, being cold, anything you think will help.

2. EpicConfusion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You could try wearing some LGBT themed jewelry like a rainbow bracelet if you can make/buy one.

If it's cold, wear lots of layers. Don't worry about looking dumb if you wear hats, gloves, scarves ect. It's better to be warm.

Anything else you need advice on?

3. ecturtle

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I live in New England too. I would say that in general, people are preppier here than other places because of the numerous boarding schools, but besides that, people are pretty accepting especially if they are younger as in teen to middle age.

4. MissBookworm

MissBookworm Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm pretty much out to anyone who cares at my school, but not out to my parents. You'd be surprised how easy it is to keep it secret. The only people who'd be able to talk to my parents about my sexual orientation would be my close friends, who I've made sure won't talk to them about it. If your problem is 'coming out' without actually saying it, you could, like EpicConfusion said, wear rainbow jewelry and drop subtle hints about it.