1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out in dreams?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by whww123, Dec 15, 2014.

1. whww123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think my closeted head is about to burst. Hahah.
    Well, on a less dark note, I've been recently only having dreams of coming out.
    At first they were more so dreams of me trying to come out, but to no avail.
    In my most recent one, however, I was able to tell both my parents that I was gay.
    Do you think this may be a subconscious thing telling me that I'm ready or close to it?
    I mean I have been in the closet for a really long time. The main factors of me not coming out ultimately boils down to: I don't want my parents/family to resent the fact I'm gay and I don't want to be left homeless right now because I'm in school and barely working.

As a community, I would like for you all to give your insight on my situation.
    I'd really just like some words of encouragement.
    I'm single and not seeing anybody either, so it's not like I have a boyfriend to lean on in this scenario, mainly because I want my come out to be clean and honest. I don't want to expose any more things I've been hiding and worsen the pain for my family. :tears:

2. FancyGummy

MA, UNITED STATES, FURTHER DETAILS UNKNOWN
    Well... What's your family like? Have they made many homophobic comments? What makes you feel that they would be willing to kick you out?

3. whww123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Just little things. I can remember my mom scoffing at gay couples walking by or having no comment. I'm actually not sure about my dad, I think he's gonna be concerned about not getting grandchildren even though it's not really an issue lol

4. Burnedcloset

I have been experiencing the same things! My last two dreams were about coming out.

The first was with my dad, he was confused in the dream. The second was with my mom, she was accepting but, disapointed.

I think it means we are ready to come out. I'm at a point where I'm totally ok with being gay. I'm proud of it. I don't want to change it. I love liking guys.

I can't come out though, I know I will be kicked out. Maybe you are feeling the same way?

Maybe we can get some more opinions?

5. NotSureWhatIam

I dreamed of coming out to my best friend and him hugoing me and falling in love with me like I did him. Unfortunately it was more along the lines of me coming out to him and him subsequently alienating me. Sorry that's neither here nor there, just a comment on the thread title.

Don't let what I said discourage you. It's important to only come out when you're ready. Don't run out of the closet, slide out of the closet. That worked best for me. My family loves me just the same for the most part. Only do what you are comfortable with. For me it was spur of the moment. I didn't plan on coming out the hour before. And no matter what, your LGBT family will always love you. :slight_smile:

6. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've had dreams about that and after I came out they all went away. It's just like when your little and u have a dream your driving even though u dont know how to drive.

7. Fafner

I had a dream that I came out the other night as well, so I've been thinking about the same things!

8. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To the OP, have you thought about raising the topic of ecent LGBT issues or events to see how your family reacts? Talk about gay marriage laws, one of the many celebrities that have come out? Might be a good way to both see how they react and lay the groundwork.

9. shadowraptor

I don't think you should begin coming out JUST because of a dream you've had. Dreams tend to be random conglomerations of things that've happened or that you think about a lot... So rather than interpret it as a sign I'd say it's cuing in on the fact that you're worried about how they'll react! I agree with OnTheHighway, maybe you could try breaking the ice first and try gaging their responses - but only you can know when the time is right. Good luck!

10. whww123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Mer. This is how I feel right now.
    Like it can go either way, I know my parents love me, even if they're not good at showing it. I can always point them in the right direction with acceptance.
    But at the same time they're not really accepting of the homosexual lifestyle. Maybe me coming out will change their minds.

I think it's time soon.

---------- Post added 25th Dec 2014 at 01:43 AM ----------

Interesting ahaha thanks for your kind words :thumbsup:

---------- Post added 25th Dec 2014 at 01:44 AM ----------

Hopefully I can look forward to never having that dream again soon! x)

---------- Post added 25th Dec 2014 at 01:46 AM ----------

Maybe I'll do that and ease my way into telling them so I don't have to be so abrupt about it. Good advice :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 25th Dec 2014 at 01:48 AM ----------

I mean yeah, I understand it's a dream. I'm just more stressed about my life and where I'm going to go from here that I can't see a future for myself without coming out soon or in the near future. I've been in the closet for about 10 years, so I feel like I'm running on empty. I was just inspired by the dream to start getting support to help me get the courage to come out.

11. Wildside

Wildside Guest

I think that your initial dreams were a reflection of your anxiety about coming out and your more recent dreams reflect that you are coming to peace with coming out, and are really ready to do it. your brain has figured it out while you were busy sleeping! good luck! (&&&)

12. trailrider

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is an interesting post to come across this morning, as I had one of those dreams last night. Although mine involved a bookstore and the clerk, a middle aged woman, telling me about all of the fun things coming up in "our community". I asked her what community and she said well the gay community silly, like I was just supposed to know. .....there's more to it, but I won't bore you.

I woke up with that odd feeling of "what the heck did that all mean?" But honestly I can say that after all these years of struggling with my identity, I can safely say that there are no dreams that should make you feel pressured into anything. I believe that we work things out in our dreams, but it is only by our reflection in the light of the day that we can truly come to peace with any situation.

.....as a side note, later in that dream, part of the bookstore had become a hospital and I got blamed for putting pro choice literature on the bed of a girl about to have an abortion. I have no real strong stance on women's rights but WOW that girl in the dream was torqued at me.

13. whww123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yes! :lol: For the longest time I had know that I was gay, but I kind of just suppressed it, but for the last couple years, this year especially, I've been growing weary of hiding myself and I feel like I've wasted a lot of people I love's time.. and my own! :eusa_doh:
    So I'm just gonna really have to bite down and do it.

---------- Post added 27th Dec 2014 at 03:39 AM ----------

Hahah that's a great dream! :thumbsup:
    It's not gonna pressure me into doing it. It mainly just makes me feel that it's time I should really prepare myself and build up the courage and go with it.
    I feel like I may get angry or sad when I do it, but when I finally do, it'll be over and I'll feel like myself finally.

14. Sepulse

Sepulse Guest

I recently had a dream where a gay man was urging me to come out as bi. In real life he never asked me to come out as anything.

15. Wildside

Wildside Guest

you hit it spot on, for me. there is so much energy that goes into pretending to be who I am not, that I find it both psychologically AND physically exhausting. and I'm so weary of it, that I am just acting like who I am, whether I am out or not to someone. That has resulted in my wife saying that people are going to think that I'm gay, to which I've responded "So what, what's the problem with that?" unfortunately, the conversation didn't going any further than that. perhaps one of many opportunities that i have missed (wish I had said, "well, then they would be right!")

16. whww123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It's a stressful life and sexuality shouldn't be something this stressful. :confused:

17. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've had a number of dreams that either involve me coming out or already being out to my family, but the one I had a couple nights ago was pretty messed up.

A boy I had a major crush on told me that he needed a kidney transplant to survive. I immediately boarded a plane and flew across the country to see if I was a match. It turns out that I was, but due to some complication if I donated one of mine I'd have no more than a decade left to live. I decided I'd wait as long as possible in hopes of finding another donor, but if I was the only option or it had to be done immediately I would do it. After waiting a few days, nobody else was eligible and I reaffirmed my commitment. The doctor said I had enough time to fly back home and inform my parents about what was happening.

I walked into my parents' house unexpectedly, turned the TV off, sat down on the couch, and told them that I had two things to tell them. The first was revealed without hesitation. "This probably isn't a shock to you, but I'm gay." My mom put her hand up to interrupt and was clearly starting to get emotional, but I stopped her. "Don't even think about that, it's not important anymore. There's this guy that means the world to me and he will die without one of my kidneys so I'm going to give it to him."

I think I woke up right at that point and I don't know if I ever told them that I'd be shortening my own life. I also don't remember my dad saying anything; it's possible he wasn't even there but I think he was just sitting in silence.

I guess it's easy to come out when you know you're going to die. =/

I'm not sure if I remembered this perfectly since it was a couple days ago and I'm sure there are some details I'm missing, but the premise is definitely accurate. Why can't I just have nice sexy dreams like most people? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

18. PNW73

I recently had dreams of changing my appearance to seem less femme. But last night I had a whopper of a dream that I was sexually with an old bf from 20 years ago. That really through me for a loop. I'm not a dream analyst, but I would guess dreams about coming out have to do with the internal feelings that we're plagued with. Come out? To whom? What if we're not accepted? Should we continue to hide?