1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Most of my family knows.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Seattlestudent1, Dec 16, 2014.

1. Seattlestudent1

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    So, I came out when I was fifteen to my mom who was completely supportive but my dad always said that he would disown his kids if we ended up being gay or dating a black guy. never told him or his side of the family because they are all strong Christians..instead I started going to church secretly thinking i could be cured, because I thought there was something wrong with me.I even tried to force myself to be with a man at that time, and the thought of kissing a boy at 20 years old really grossed me out, and the closer I tried to get with him the more I wanted to be with a woman, and by the age of 22 I realized i cant change and left the church which I was actively serving in for five years.Two months later I told most of my family I am a lesbian, all except my dads side(who is extremely judgmental,homophobic and christian) and I don't know how I can bring myself to do it.
    I'm completely open everywhere but with this select group of people

#1 Seattlestudent1, Dec 16, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  2. Clay

You dad sounds like an arse anyway to be honest. If he does cut you out of his life it's his loss.

3. Seattlestudent1

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I know he is.Everyone knows he is,but even if he doesn't cut me out he will always express his disgust.Which would be worse.I also dont want to bring my girlfriend around because I don't want him to make her feel like she's filthy...which he will.

4. Clay

You'll have your own place soonish I assume? You wouldn't need to bring your girlfriend around then.

5. Seattlestudent1

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I am on my own, but my family and I are really close,and we have a lot of get togethers for different things, and I spend a lot of time with my dad, but because I know he won't accept or support me I know that will change a lot of things, but I am planning on telling him today regardless...so i'll see how it goes.

#5 Seattlestudent1, Dec 17, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
  6. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! I am glad you left the church when you realised that you can't change your sexual orientation.

Given what you have mentioned about your dad and his side of the family, I wouldn't recommend coming out to him at this point in time. It doesn't sound like that even with coming out to him, that anything will really change. If you feel that things could become worse, why let him know?

If you did come out to him today, I hope that it went reasonably okay under the circumstances.