1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I tell my Dad?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Geist, Oct 16, 2008.

1. Geist

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Last year I came out to my dad, but over all that time it has been treated like a great taboo. For six months we never spoke about it. Until I brought it up and he told me that it is just a phase and that I am too young to know what I want. As the months past he has become a little more okay with the fact that I am gay and that I am not going to change.

A while a go I met a guy who I am now going out with. He is well amazing doesn't even begin to describe him. I care for him deeply far more then I have ever felt for my other boyfriends before him. I don't want to lie about us and I don't want our relationship to be some dirty secret.

I am finding myself wanting to tell my dad about my boyfriend, but I don't know. This will be a large step for him because it will mean him having to actually accept that I am gay and that it isn't going to change. I am not too worried about him, because knowing him the worst reaction I could get from him would be he would just not want to talk about it, but that is still a lot to ask him to deal with and I am not sure if I should tell him or wait.

2. musican

I would say to tell him, it would be a lot better to be up front about it rather than have him catch you sneaking around. thats just my opinion, only you can decide whats best

3. Louise

I think you should tell him. Your dad is on the road to acceptance, this is just another step for him, a big one granted but one that he will have to take sooner or later.

Try to do it gently, if he doesn't want to talk about it that is fine, that is just his way, let him work things through in his own time. I would just say, take things easy on your dad. Don't tell him about your boy friend then bring him round the next day kissing and cuddling in front of him. When you do bring your b/f home just be cool, hang out together and let your dad get used to the idea, he will eventually.

4. Ben

Ben

Telling him would be a huge progression in showing him that this is who you are and you are not going to change. He is going to have to accept it at some stage. Telling him you have a boyfriend would help him come to terms with everything.

5. EM68

I would tell him and if he wants to talk to him about it then talk to him. If he does not want to talk about it leave him alone and give him time.