1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I come out to my friend?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ChameleonSoul, Dec 18, 2014.

1. ChameleonSoul

So I've been caught in a tough situation involving being in the closet. Recently one of my friends on this academic bowl team (Yes I'm a nerd!) brought up the fact that I haven't ever had a girlfriend and brought up how he met this girl on another team that would be perfect for me. He said that he would introduce me to her if I wanted at during our next tournament in January. I told him that I would have to think about it because I honestly don't know if I should tell him the truth or not. While I don't think that he's homophobic, he might think that I'm trying to flirt with him. There's also the matter of telling him in private (if I even tell him). It's just that if I tell him to hook us up, I'll feel awful about just leading her on like that.

Should I come out to him or come up with some sort of excuse to get out of it? If I do come out to him, how should I go about it?

2. Wildside

Wildside Guest

You can tell him as much of the truth as he needs to know. ie, "She's not my type." You don't need to explain to him that your type is male. If he asks what your type is, you can honestly tell him that you know your type when you see it. If he isn't really that close, it's not really any of his business, unless you decide to come out to everybody.

3. MissBookworm

MissBookworm Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    This is how I do it every time I come out to one of my female friends.
    Me: ____, I need to tell you something really important.
    Friend: What?
    Me: I'm gay. Before you say anything, I want to clarify that I am not attracted to you, romantically or sexually. I hope this doesn't make anything awkward, and I just wanted to let you know this because I felt like I was keeping something from you. Again, I am not attracted to you.
    Friend: ...Ok.