1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Do You Do if They Already Knew?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Tlarkul, Dec 18, 2014.

1. Tlarkul

It has been a while since I logged into Empty Closets, so I would like to ask for everyone's patience with this post (since I feel like I'm sure this is the right place to post this).

The super-short story: About a month or so ago, I came out as gay to one of my friends (who I will call A) who I volunteered with and went to class with. Her response was something along the lines of "I sorta knew that anyway."

Up until then, I expected people to act in surprise, though it wasn't the first time someone said that; the first person I came out to (who I will call B) also said that she also knew, although when asked she said that I acted a little feminine when we went to school together. I never asked A about how she knew.

My question for everyone is this: when you come out to someone you trust and they say that they partly knew (or express anything other than surprise) for quite a while, how do you deal with it? :confused:

2. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Out loud: Oh ok.
    In head: Why the fuck didn't you say so? Could of made my life so much easier. Could of atleast given me a hint.

3. AKTodd

Shrug and move on. I might ask them what led them to that knowledge just for my own enlightenment and interest. But by and large, I don't see it as that big of a deal.

Todd

4. soulcatcher

5. aboutface

I don't really see the issue.

For me the most stressful thing about telling people is the possibility of it changing the way the perceive me in a negative way. If they already knew (or at least assumed correctly), then that's not going to happen, so it's all good.

I mean, maybe a small part of me is annoyed that I wasn't pulling off the straight act as well as I may have thought I was, but really that's stupid and more of a reason to chuckle at myself than to actually get upset.

I don't really wish they would have told me sooner because in my case I wouldn't have been ready to hear it from them sooner anyways.