1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ready to begin coming out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by arken1, Dec 19, 2014.

1. arken1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In my other thread, I have discussed that I am just recently beginning to stop suppressing my homosexuality. I am ready to stop lying, and I'm ready to begin dating and finding a life partner.

I feel that I'm ready to come out to the only person whose reaction I truly care about: my mom. I consider my mom to be my best friend, and we share everything and take care of each other. I have noted her reactions when a conversation about gay friends or family members comes up, and I've judged her thoughts on homosexuality from that. I realize if it's ME who's gay, that's potentially quite different than someone else in the family, but my gut tells me she will accept it. I do anticipate a lot of initial confusion and denial, but in the long-run, acceptance.

Like I said, other than mom, I don't really care about others. I don't plan to tell anyone else for a while, because I'm not ready for wide-spread knowledge of it (actually, in general, sexuality to me is a private matter, anyway). But, she is the only person I don't want to hear through-the-grapevine. And I think having her support will move my journey forward in a great leap. I have read the "stages of coming out" under the Resources link, and I feel like I'm spanning stages 2-7 at the same time, completing little pieces of each step simultaneously.

Anyway, I am planning on talking to her sometime around New Year's after the hustle-bustle of the holidays has settled. I really don't have any anxiety about it at all, so I hope that means I'm ready! :eusa_danc

2. TheSeeker

Go for it man! It gets easier with ever person you tell! I've been out for two years and they have been the happiest of my life!

3. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good luck with it. If you can anticipate some of the questions she might ask it will help. There is nothing worse than being put on the spot with questions that you're not expecting. If you give it a bit of thought beforehand, you can consider your responses and answer calmly and with more confidence and it will demonstrate to your Mom that you have really thought things through, that you are sure and it's not just a whim.

Pleased you checked out the resources and stages of coming out. Did you notice the stages for family and friends too? It's worth keeping these in mind if your Mom's reaction isn't what you'd hope for (it may be a journey for her too). It might be worth having the website details for PFLAG available when you tell her.

If you are prepared and ready you just need to be calm and confident when you say it. Try not to get upset as it may give your Mom the wrong impression.

Let us know how it goes. :slight_smile: