1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out as a gay conservative

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Adrian468, Oct 17, 2008.

1. Adrian468

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey all,

This is my first post. I'm 22 years old and I'm graduating from college in December. I'm finally ready to come out to a few people, but here's my problem: I'm a very outspoken political conservative. (I have always been in favor of gay rights, even before I knew I was gay myself, so I'm not a hypocrite! Not everyone tows the "party line" 100 percent.)

I'm worried first of all that even my closest friends might think that my political beliefs have been a facade to hide the fact that I'm gay. This is not the case at all.

Also, I don't exactly expect that I'll be welcome in the gay community as a conservative, even a libertarian-leaning one.

I know the only way to find out what people's reactions will be is to tell them, but I was just wondering if there are any other gay conservatives/libertarians/republicans out there, or anyone who knows one, and what your experiences have been?

2. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Oh yes, we have a few here. I think its great you are an outspoken advocate for gay rights! We need more people like you! Welcome to EC!

3. I'm a Republican too, but I'm a liberal Republican. I've always been pro-choice, pro gay rights etc even before I knew I was. And it's completely like you said, no one tows the party line 100% and that's fine. People usually get confused when I tell them my political standpoints because they seem to contradict each other but no one has ever accused me of using them as a facade. You should be alright on that front. Generally people don't understand those who are Republican/conservatives/libertarians who are also gay, but they're generally just like "Well, if that's what you believe it's your business."

4. EM68

I am also republican. I consider my self conservative with defense and economic policies. I am more middle of the road with social issues. I am pro choice and support gay rights. Just be yourself that is the most important thing.

5. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

Liberal republican here, you're not the only one :wink: .

I'm a liberal valued person with small, heavily regulated, government views :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: .

6. Enaithor

People are silly.
    People think that gay conservatives are hypocritical when they aren't-
    Conservative (right wing) is on the left to right scale of ECONOMICAL issues
    Things such as gay rights are on the fascism-anarchy scale of SOCIAL issues
    So although there is a positive correlation between the two
    Not everyone is on the correlation-
    you get outliers.

7. Amy

Amy

o, yea, they exsist. i know a gay neo-conservative who loves palin. and one of mccains staff(chief of staff, think) is gay.

i guess its a good thing. it shows that we arent just a bunch of insane liberals. lol well, some of us are. :slight_smile:

8. Peter

I am an active Christian (local lay preacher), vote conservative, married for 26 years with two children the same age as you are. Coming out is not easy, however it is better than being discovered "outed" at a later date. I think you need to come out to the people who matter to you, probably not to the others. It would be nice to know that when someone accuses you of being who you are, you can readily acknowledge it. Remember that who you are is not what you are. Being conservative is more than gay issues (just as being Republican is more than an abortion issue).

9. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to EC. There are a lot of gay conservatives here. You should fit along well.

10. NuthinButLuv

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You shouldn't worry about it. Gay and conservative are definitely not mutually exclusive.