1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seeking Advice

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ZestyLion, Dec 21, 2014.

1. ZestyLion

Okay, so I'm out to my immediate family, and I'm on the fence about coming out over the holidays to the rest of my family. Most of them would be accepting, however there are a few that are very homophobic. I would not be bothered by it, and my parents would be fine if I came out and they didn't want to talk to us any more. I really feel like I want to come out when we get together on Christmas, however I don't know if I should. Any feedback would be great, and I'm fine with your honest opinion.

2. Rainbows~Exist

This pretty much sums up my opinion. If it won't affect you or your family then go for it! It should be fine. There shouldn't be any problems about coming out for Christmas but you may want to come out at a later date (New Year's?) just in case there are problems.

3. ZestyLion

Okay thanks so much for the advice! I was just wondering since I won't be together with them for New Year's. Any ideas about that?

4. chemicalbond

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello, ZestyLion! If you're out to your immediate family, then I don't think there's an urgent reason to actually come out to everyone else. In my case, I only came out to my sister (in my teens) and mother (in my early 20s--my dad had already passed away), and that was enough for me. Over the years, the rest of the family as well as the relatives sorta figured it all out and have stopped asking me when I'm going to get a girlfriend. :slight_smile:

I guess, for me, I treated being gay as something that's not so much of a big deal to tell everyone in one go. I just go with the flow. If relatives ask you about girlfriends, you can just say, "Oh, I'm not really into girls."

Then they react, "Oh, my Lord Almighty in Heaven Above!! Do your parents know?"

And you say, "Yes, they do. You can ask them. Hey, you want more apple pie?"

:slight_smile:

5. Wildside

Wildside Guest

sounds like you've got a really good situation for coming out. if your parents support you no matter what, then hey, why not? and those homophobes, it sounds like your parents would be just as happy not to have them around, so it is kind of a win/win. but as far as how we come out, well I think that chemicalbond has some great suggestions! we don't have to treat it like a big announcement, just a natural part of life. you know, like "please pass some pecan pie down here to your gay cousin..." OK, that's kind of silly, but if we can't be silly in this season of joy, when can we? (!)

6. ZestyLion

Thanks guys for the support. I guess now that I think about it I could just let it play out. I'll just wait and see what happens!