1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does it ever get better?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by JayR, Dec 23, 2014.

1. JayR

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If you come out, does it ever get better or worse? I'm planning on coming out to my parents after graduation and that is set 2 years from now.Some of my few trusted friends know about this. But i won't ever come out to strangers, not unless they come out first.

2. ecturtle

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm in about the same situation, just younger. I've come out to a handful of people in my town, plus close friends and even then it feels so freeing. I always want to be true to myself and so I honestly don't care what people think. It may not get better with some people, and I get that, but it certainly has felt better.

3. AJ2014

When I came out it was uplifting and refreshing. Not everyone was completely accepting but all are now. So for meif did get better. Come out when you are ready and dont be ashamed by not coming out you are you and nothing can change that.

4. Wildside

Wildside Guest

I've been very selective with whom I've come out so far. each time, it has felt tremendously good. If I were still in college, I would definitely wait until graduation to come out to my parents, so I understand. good luck with that! as far as strangers, well for me there always has to be a reason for it to be a topic of conversation, and strangers generally wouldn't fit into that category. though I do wear some things like gay pride stuff, so that may be considered coming out to strangers, I don't know.

5. ReadyToTell

ReadyToTell Guest

2 years is a long time... I'm not saying that you should come out any sooner, but what if things change? What if the circumstances change? I honestly think you shouldn't plan it out so far in advance. I think graduation is a good time, but you shouldn't worry about it yet. Take everything in stride. Good luck!