1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sort of came out for first time...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Ruby Confused, Dec 23, 2014.

1. Ruby Confused

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    So I am on holiday with my best (female, straight) friend and we were talking about gay rights and equality one night and she mentioned this one boy in her class in university who came out and how she couldn't imagine how difficult that must be. So cut a long conversation short I told her I was really confused at the moment and was questioning my own sexuality. And she was so kind and caring about it! She is the first person I have ever outright said that I am not straight to. I was so worried to tell her as she has a complicated past when it comes to this kind of thing but I couldn't have asked for a better result. I just wanted to share that sometimes the fear leading up to it is worse than actually admitting something. I am not complacently out to her but in truth I am not ready to label myself so that's cool I guess.

2. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations on coming out to your friend. You are absolutely right, the fear is often much worse than the reality of telling someone. I have told many people that I am gay and I can count on one hand the number who have been really negative about it. In all honesty, I have gained far more than I lost from coming out.