1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I know when to come out to friends?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by midnightss, Dec 23, 2014.

1. midnightss

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    To be honest, I feel like I need to tell my friends my little secret. Formal is coming up soon, and I am constantly asked, "Who do you want to ask you?" Sadly I can't say, "This girl named ___." If I were to say that, I would be taking a huge risk. That is because I go to a religious school.

Anyways, is there a certain feeling that you get when you know that you're ready?

P.S: I want to wish everyone a happy holiday season! (*hug*)

2. Wildside

Wildside Guest

will they kick you out of school if you say that? I'm guessing that they wouldn't let you go with her, but would they kick you out for just saying something like that?
    another separate but important issue is how this other girl would feel about her name being dropped in the context of someone coming out. so it might be better to answer something more generic.

3. teamfood

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    In all honesty, it depends on the character of your friends entirely. Will they keep it a secret? How supportive will they be? Those are the questions to ask yourself before blurting out your sexual identity. It may get even trickier since you attend a religious school, considering the environment, unless you're ABSOLUTELY positive your friends are okay with the LGBTQ community, I would keep quiet a little longer.

I hope this helped!! Happy holidays!!!!

4. Jguy365

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I also attended a Christian school.(for my entire life, in fact.) I did not confront my sexuality until after I left high school, though, but anyway...

My friend Tiffany came out as Bisexual right around this time last year. She had a girlfriend. When prom came around, she was called to the office and told that she was absolutely not allowed to go to prom with a same sex date. On that note, the sad truth is that, while my school's motto was "a better place,' the majority of the people on staff and a good number of students are totally unaccepting of homosexual, or even bisexual people. perhaps they should change their motto to "a better place for rich white straight people."

In your case, it might hurt, but I would advise that you wait to come out until you are able to move on from that school. If yours is anything like mine was, being openly gay would not be a good experience for you.

If you decide to come out, be absolutely careful who you tell. I cannot stress this enough. I told too many people, so word spread like wildfire...and the last time I went back to visit my old friends, someone came up to me and said "I HEARD THAT YOU'RE GAY, IS IT TRUE?" You'd be amazed how easily the word spreads. It's much easier to deal with when you don't have to deal with situations like that on a daily basis.

As far as knowing when you're ready, only you can answer that. In my opinion, though, I feel that one becomes totally ready when they can say "I'm gay" without hesitation and do not feel confusion about their identity. I began my coming out journey in July and am still in the self-acceptance process. Some people have a harder time with it than others. Take your time and consider your safety and well being before anything else. Good luck.