1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Having Children

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by riddlerno1, Oct 18, 2008.

1. riddlerno1

I suppose one of the things that has been on my mind recently is the fact that i may never have children of my own. Now this is something ive always dreamed of having. Ive always wanted children of my own. I even planned how i wanted two boys and a girl. But now knowing that may never happen is very scary. I realsie there is adoption and surrogacy but it all just sounds too much to think about. Also there is the fact that im the only male in my family and so it has always been hoped that i would get married and have kids. This is not just something my family hoped but i want it too.

Honestly, this also forms part of the reason why i havent come out yet to lots of people. Maybe im just kidding myself but i dont want to make this idea of not having kids real. :confused:

2. Davo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel the same way about this, although as I'm not an only child or the only boy among my siblings, I don't feel any obligation to have children.

I've found it very difficult to deal with the idea that my dreams of having a family one day will never happen. I know it's not impossible but it is unlikely.

I know I shouldn't but I still see being gay as a handicap in that sense, and it is difficult when other people go on about having kids now or in the future, and you just have to bite your tongue because it doesn't seem like an option for you.

3. Enaithor

I would LOVE to have kids.
    But guess what, I'm more gay than straight [i think]
    So that sucks.
    BUT
    a big butt.
    There is technology in place for gay couples to have biological children!
    It just needs to be refined...
    Basically cloning. Except you would use for example gay men you would borrow an egg off someone and put the sperm DNA in there. For cloning you use a body cell but for reproduction you would use an egg. But the cloning has been used to treat people of things. It works. But I think loads of them got leukaemia? Or something like that happened anyway.
    But you never know, in future it might work

So you might get biological kids

4. gutsrie

I too feel this way, and since I am one of two gay sons, I feel that sometimes, the family name won't be carried on. It's always been a dream of mine to have a traditional family with a wife and kids, which is why I labeled myself as bi for so long. But I realized I was only fooling myself because I could never love a woman that way. So now, I have accepted my situation as such.

I also know the option is there to adopt, but some people want children with their own genes, not the genes of others. This may sound selfish to some because there are plenty of children out there who needs loving parents already, but to me, I would still like to have children of my own flesh and blood.

5. Apocalypte

To be completely honest - I've never wanted children. I know I'm not the kind of person who'd be a good parent, and the thought of bringing up a child who ended up as messed up as I am is just horrible. So the thought of not having my own children isn't really a big issue for me.

Even if I was straight though - it'd be difficult for me to have children anyway as I suffer from PCOS.

6. george678

I would hate to do that to a human.:rolleyes:

7. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
  8. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Personally, I generally dislike children and would never want to keep up with my own. But still, surrogacy and adoption are always there. If you have any sisters, there's a huge chance of them having children to please your parents. Don't feel like you have this giant burden to reproduce, there are plenty of people in the world.

9. george678

His family is so cute.

10. musican

i feel pretty much the same, except right now i havent figured out if im bi or gay. i think that im telling myself im bi so i can have my own kids and have a family and a "normal" life, but im beginning to realize that i cant make myself like anyone.

the idea of not having my own kids is the worst part of me knowing that i like guys, i love kids and cant immagine not having my own. i know i can adopt, but then the kid will always have their biological parents that they may want to meet someday. i love my friend's sister like my own child so i know i can love a child that isnt my own, but i always wonder what if they cant love me?

11. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Of course they will love you!

12. george678

They will love you for looking after them no matter what you are.

13. musican

i really hope so, like i said i couldnt live without having kids, i have so much love for them.

14. ArcusPravus

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The technology isn't completly there yet, but in the near future you could have a biological child with your partner. We've already been able to substitute the host DNA of an egg with another's DNA. Its not too much of a leap to add foreign reproductive DNA (half the chromosones, and not a complete set) into an egg and then impregnate it with another set of reproductive DNA (as in artificially or with actual sperm). Once the technology catches up, taking a donated egg and implanting one set of reproductive DNA from one parent and one set from the other parent will be possible. Seeing as men have both an X and a Y chomosone and we're able to discern which the sperm contains without destroying the sperm, it would seem feasible to choose an X chromosone from one of the two men and then either from the other man. Two women would of course only be able to have a daughter. It does open up the possibility of YY chromosones. However, wether a fetus could even develop is questionable as the Y chomosone has far fewer genes than the X chromosone and is to a point only really responsible for sex conversion as all fetuses start female (in humans at least). But with procautions to prohibit such an egg implantation, in the near future it could be possible for gay partners to have children biologically derivative of both men/women. For men, a surogate mother would still be necessary though.

15. Gumtree

To put it simply, yes you can have kids. There is technology availible to us now that allows you to have your own biological children, and that technology can only improve and new ones found.

16. george678

I dont think thats right though.

17. Enaithor

What as in the illnesses?
    I think eventually they will fix that and make it work properly so the kids don't get ill

18. spellbound118

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    One of the hardest things i've had to accept is i won't have kids. Having kids was always what i wanted in life. I absolutely love kids. A life without kids is gonna be very hard. Even with other options i can't do it because my mum said she wouldn't talk to me if i had a kid and brung it up with another girl because its not fair on the kid :S:S And i guess a lot of other people would feel the same way...

19. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    You should do what YOU want. Not what your mother thinks. All studies have shown that gay parents make just as good of parents as straight ones. I think your mother would have a very difficult time turning her back on you or her grandchild. Like coming out, this just takes some education.

20. Miles D

I sometimes feel down about this too, if I start thinking about it.
    I am trans, so I can never father a child. That trips me out, to think that if I ever meet "the one" and she wants kids, I can't make that happen.
    Sure, there are sperm donors, and adoption, both of which (but especially adoption) I am fully behind and support, but what if my spouse would like me to be the biological father of her baby.
    It's impossible. Damn.