1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dealing with Catholic Parents?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by castheking, Dec 24, 2014.

1. castheking

Hi! I'm new to this site, and I figured I'd tackle my biggest issue first.

I was raised Catholic, with parents who believe that anything LGBT+ is "wrong". They think homosexuality is gross, they flat-out bash trans people, and they strongly believe in traditional gender roles. Being pansexual, genderfluid, and a big activist of LGBT rights is a bit difficult in my household.

I've come out as pansexual, and my mother got really upset, said some awful things to me, and then proceeded to tell my father when I wanted to tell him myself. They haven't mentioned it since. I'm assuming they're just trying to forget about it, I don't know. But I don't plan on coming out as genderfluid, I'll just live my life how I please when I'm able to move out. They don't even think bisexuality is real, so I doubt they'll have any sort of respect for genderfluidity.

One of my best friends is genderfluid as well, and we've been talking about it a lot. I'm out to my close friends. So I do have some sort of support system going for me, and I'm thankful for that. But it'd just be really nice to live in a household where I can comfortably talk about a cute girl I met, or not be called "beautiful" on my more masculine days.

Does anyone have any sort of advice? Reassuring words? Anything would be helpful, really.

2. Gabby29

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Telling your mom was brave and I'm sorry she pretty much stole your chance of you telling your dad. I also was brought up in a catholic family, a Filipino catholic family so it's a much more uptight feeling lol. Keep being you and do not lose who you are or feel insecure.. my dad knows I'm bisexual but I'm finding the courage to tell my mother who as I mentioned in another thread has a conservative point of view, regardless she is my mother after all and she will have her thoughts and opinions and that's okay because none of that will take away who I know I am, and anything your parents think shouldn't take anything away from you either. :thumbsup:

3. Wildside

Wildside Guest

well, the best news is that you have in fact come out to your parents. that part is done. you can't convince them of anything, nor do you need to. any questions that they might have going forward, you have already answered. If they want to continue to live in denial, that is there choice. You're not the one living a lie. Congratulations.
    I think that what your parents are demonstrating is more a product of their own ignorance, prejudice, and discomfort, rather than their Catholicism. The catechism is equally harsh about some other areas of human sexuality like contraception and masturbation, that seem to get overlooked more easily. and what it says about homosexuality is open to a lot more interpretation, as evidenced by the food fight held amongst the bishops and cardinals in Rome back in October. So, without getting off on that tangent, I am just trying to say that this is a reflection of their own prejudice, and it's not something that you're going to change in the immediate future. As life goes on, and they see that you are a loving person and the loving relationships that become a part of their life, they may change their opinion. but then again, they may not. but you have made the choice to live your life authentically and in truth. Congratulations on that!!! and good luck letting go of what other people think, even people who are so important to you. (&&&)