1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Options other than university??

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by spellbound118, Oct 19, 2008.

1. spellbound118

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Im currently studying business, ethics/philosophy and psychology at sixth form. I initially planned to go to university but i reaaaallly don't want to. My confidence is not going to be able to cope with more student life, i want to be out there working. However i don't want a stand still job, eg stacking shelves. I want one that has a ladder to climb, a way of moving upwards over time.

Anyone know of any jobs you can get of the back of a-levels that's not working in a retail shop??
    I would love to get a good job in london and move to live there. But im finding it hard to think how that is possible.

One way i have thought of is finishing a-levels while saving like mad, staying here for another year and working full time in a shop and saving loads. In that extra year getting secretarial courses under my belt and then gettin ga job down the business admin route.

Looking for advice and suggestions really, could that plan work? or is there a better plan? Or is it just not possible.

2. Mikeyy

well, you could try tafe, but that would require part-time study.

have you looked into apprenticeships? they span over all industries and offer plenty of room for advancement

3. Fiorino

Why don't you take a gap year, and then come back
    and see if you still aren't up for it.

4. Myke

Myke Guest

I took a year off after high school. Working 5-6 days a week, 8 hours a day and dealing with bitchy customers really makes school look real good.

5. NuthinButLuv

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is just my experience which is a bit limited to the IT field, but I didn't finish college. I went for about two years while trying to work more than full time at a restaurant (about 55 hours per week). Between work and the full load at school, I was just burnt out. So I took some time off... now, 10 years later...

I'm in a much better position. I'm over all Technology in the company and report directly to the CFO. I feel very lucky to get to my position without at least a BA degree, but I did get here. It took 10 years of hard work and proving myself to the executive team, along with a ton of reading and tinkering outside of work to get the knowledge I needed to prove myself. I've been at this company for 11 years, and am finally where I wanted to be a couple of years ago.

I could have gotten the same position spending 4 years in college and a few minutes in a couple of interviews with a lot less hard work and convincing. So believe me when I say for me, school definitely would have been the easier way to go, and I would already have 5 years or so experience in my role and likely be making even more money.

Having said that though, I learned so much more than I could have in school and I really am happy the way it turned out. And was lucky that I work for people that can see past paper work and will allow someone to prove they can do the job. I would love to go back to school and finish my degree though. Eventually I will, if nothing else, just for me.

If I had had an apprenticeship or something of that nature, I'm sure it would have been easier, and I probably would have had an easier time working up the ladder. If you do opt out of continuing school, that's probably your best bet. Either way I wish you the best.

The important thing is, just don't give up, no matter what happens. Don't let anyone tell you that you can't do something, because you can (even if it doesn't work out the first time... or the second).

6. spellbound118

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey everyone, thanks for all the advice.
    I'm looking into apprenticeship. Decided to leave sixth form, it's not doing any good to my mental health. Career in travel agency is looking good as it's training on the job.
    Thanks again everyone.

7. StandingUp

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    If you look at individual companies website, as well as maybe trying through an agency you'll be able to find a job. If you don't want to go to university don't go. If you change your mind later you can always go back. I've had lots of mature students in my classes at uni (ug and grad) and nowadays there are so many choices. Also the saying that a job is for life no longer applies to jobs anymore. It is a lot easier to get another job or get out of a bad one. Just do what you feel is right for you. London is expensive. If you do want to work in London maybe consider living in the outskirts or flatsharing??