1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out via letter (Sorry this is long..)

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ReadyToTell, Dec 25, 2014.

1. ReadyToTell

ReadyToTell Guest

So I plan on coming out via letter, as I said in my last thread because I enjoy writing and my parents have acknowledged how good I am at writing (I'm Editor-In-Chief of the school newspaper). Anyways, I wrote my letter, but I would like some criticism on it. I'm not going to attach the whole thing because it is rather long, but I'll give the basic run down of it.
    1) The main things I talked about was how I knew I was gay (said I kissed a guy and girl, felt nothing with the girl and everything with the guy), talked about which friends know and my brother, and how they can tell the rest of the family.
    2) I talked about my boyfriend, however I really debated putting this in, but felt it was better just to get it all out at once and not hide anything else. I would have to tell them eventually.
    Recently my parents have expressed how all they want is for my brother and to be happy and never depressed. The last thing they want for us is suicide. This is why I feel like they will be accepting. They are also very liberal, and they loved my gay elementary school music teacher. :lol:
    P.S.-When is the best time to give them the letter? I probably wont be there as they read it, and won't want to.

2. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think they're probably going to be ok with it. As for when to give them the letter, maybe leave it somewhere on your way out the door going to school for the day?

3. Wildside

Wildside Guest

I would say that you should also remember to include how much you love them, and how you have always treasured their love and support; and so you want to share a most initimate part of yourself with them. As far as when to deliver the letter, well, I would say at a time at home where you can all sit down and have a serious conversation. just tell them that you need to discuss something important with them, get them sitting down, and give them the letter and tell them that they need to read it first. good luck! (&&&)

4. ReadyToTell

ReadyToTell Guest

Thanks! However, they are both already at work by the time I am leaving for schools. Maybe a day they are both home (which rarely happens, but we'll see).

True. Thank you!

5. AJ2014

I think they will accept you. An you could maybe give it to them on the weekend then go out for a while with a friend that way theu can read and digest but you can easily come home if they want to talk.
    P.S Good luck

6. ReadyToTell

ReadyToTell Guest

That's what I was thinking. Thank you.