1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feeling the courage - should I follow through?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ZestyLion, Dec 26, 2014.

1. ZestyLion

I feel like just changing my Facebook settings once and for all and I know almost everybody will be fine with it. There will be a few people that will be upset, and I'm prepared for their hate. I just want to casually change my profile settings to "interested in men" and get it over with. The problem is I don't know if I should follow through. I feel confident and ready, but I really don't know if I should do it.

2. Rainbows~Exist

If you're ready then go for it. Ignore the negativity and do what you want to do!

3. Jellal

If you're ready for the hate, then you're ready.
    Remember that those who hate you for who you are, they're not people you'd want to hang out with anyways.

4. Wildside

Wildside Guest

there will always be people who love you! like us! (&&&) Think about the good people. Getting this over with now will make your life easier in the long run. Let us know how it goes!!! :thumbsup:

5. ZestyLion

I'm just thinking... Maybe I should do it on New Year's? You know, new year, new me?

6. IWICCO

That sounds like a great idea. I so admire your courage at such a young age. :eusa_clap

7. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! It's great that you feel the time has come to come out by changing your facebook 'interested in' status. Doing it causally is a good way to go about it. :slight_smile:

I wonder a bit, what makes you second guess whether or not you should do it. Also, who are the people that could be upset about you making that change?

8. JakkenDean

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I came across this thing on Facebook one day where someone had posted a status saying something along the lines of, "like if you're against homosexuality" or something like that. In the comments someone asked why they posted that message. He replied saying that he was going to unfriend everyone who liked that message so that's something you could do otherwise go for it!

9. ZestyLion

I just have a gut feeling that I shouldn't do it and that I should wait. In my head I know I should because I'm ready and society is changing, and I know a lot of LGBT people that are already out.

Some people that would be upset would be my aunt, uncle, and a couple of friends. I know that these people are not my friends if they won't accept me. And my parents are completely fine if my aunt and uncle separate from us if they don't like it, and people will just have to deal with it.

10. gaypiglet

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    It sounds like a good idea, especially on New Years!! But I think you should make sure you let close family members and friends know about it before you post anything on Facebook, just so they know before it goes out to everyone else. Just a thought :slight_smile:

Goodluck!!

11. Wildside

Wildside Guest

that's pretty funny, and clever. when I read the first part of your post, I physically recoiled. The risk of doing that is that if I saw something like that from someone of facebook, I might unfriend them right away, but would definitely at least drop them to acquaintance and stop following them. and then I would miss the good news of them coming out, because I would have thought that they were the homophobe. I actually have seen some similar things, not exactly the same, and dropped them from FB. though I'm really sure that they weren't coming out, they were just haters.

12. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Your instincts are (usually) a pretty good indicator of things, and if something doesn't feel right, it might be worthwhile to hold off, and see if your feelings change. Coming out is not about reaching the finish line first.

Knowing that your aunt and uncle would have an issue with it, you might want to come out to them through another means, rather than on Facebook. As for your friends, you are right. If your friends can't accept you for you, then you are not losing anything by not having them around.

Thinking about it, coming out to your uncle and aunt first, before posting it on Facebook, might help you feeling differently about changing your status.

13. ZestyLion

Yeah I'm out to the closest people. I've made sure to do that.

---------- Post added 27th Dec 2014 at 07:35 PM ----------

Well I'm not that close to my aunt and uncle anyway... Plus it's kind of obvious that I'm gay and shouldn't be a big shock.

14. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow, cool.

15. ZestyLion

Update: I just changed my settings and deleted it from my activity log, so anybody that goes to look can see that I am gay.

16. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good luck~!

17. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation: