1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out through e-mail?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by purplecats, Dec 26, 2014.

1. purplecats

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So I've made a post touching on this before but I still need some advice. I want to come out to a cousin of mine who is gay because I just feel like it would be nice to have someone to actually relate to. He lives in another state and we only get to see each other a couple times a year. I actually saw him tonight but it was a big family thing so I couldn't get him alone to talk. I was just wondering if it would be ok to come out to him in an e-mail and discuss it that way? I'm also hesitant because he has never actually came out but everyone knows he's gay because of facebook and other things. I just don't want him to feel uncomfortable about me bringing it up and I also don't know if e-mailing him is the best thing to do or if I should just wait until I see him again in person in who knows how long.

2. antibinary

Coming out in an email or non verbally is generally easier and there's no right way to come out. So go for it.

3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Coming out in an e-mail is perfectly fine. From what you have mentioned, e-mailing him might actually be one of the best ways to come out to him at this point. I would suggest that you don't mention anything about knowing or having the feeling that he is gay - given that he hasn't come out thus far.

That said, you could use some of the information that you know in letting him know why you thought he would be a good family member to come out to. :slight_smile:

4. BlackSwan

I totaally agree, wrtiting an e-mail is perfectly fine. I came out to my best friend by e-mail because it was easier. After some time, once she got more confortable about it we talked. :icon_wink