1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why I Did This, I Do Not Know...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Ell, Dec 27, 2014.

1. Ell

Ell

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Okay, so, in a nutshell, this does have something to do with the new year in a way. Back in September, in one of my classes, we were told to write down three goals and how we were going to achieve them. And we were also told to set them for a reasonable date, say, oh, I don't know, the stroke of midnight on New Year's Eve. I, being the self-confident dummy I was, made one of my goals to come out to my family by the said time frame above, thinking to myself, "Oh, I'll have LOTS of time to do this! It's almost four months away, I'll do it before then anyways!"

And now, there are three days left before the time frame ends, and I have yet to do it. Give me a second while I yell at myself for making this my time frame...( :bang::eusa_doh: And in the words of Napoleon Dynamite, "Oh, freakin' idiot!") Okay, back to normal.

But seriously, I have no idea what to do! I can't just go up to my mother and say, "Hey, Ma! Guess what? You have a lesbian for a daughter!" And I am fully aware I cannot do that. Not only do I run the risk of giving her a premature heart attack, I run the risk of her definitely not taking it well and responding negatively (which would suck). And it's not because I'm not ready; trust me, I am more than ready to be able to finally stop lying to my family and, in tangent, myself.

What I'm crapping my pants about is the fact that she can respond VERY NEGATIVELY... Hell, I don't even know what political side she leans towards, let alone her full stance on gays as a "thing," for lack of a better word! I mean, I know she has one or two gay friends, who are guys, mind you, but sometimes her wording surrounding lesbians makes the topic more than a little dodgy.

And my grandparents, who are very deeply Catholic, and my father (who was raised a Jehovah's Witness but is out of the picture anyways), have given me practically no insight into their views on the gay community. My sister is so far the only person in my family who legitimately knows about me being a lesbian, and she has (thank my lucky stars above) accepted me fully (even though one time she did use it as blackmail against me until she realized that she was being a total douche and dropped it).

I've asked some friends, but even the gay friends I have, who are still teenagers, have yet to come out to their parents or come out as a whole. They've told me to follow my heart, and my heart says to tell my family, but a small part of my heart and my mind are worried on the outcome.

I just wanted to start off 2015 with no secrets, goddammit! That's all I wanted, and now I don't know if I'll continue to keep it a secret or just let it out. But either way, I need some help, quick, before I burst from the stress.

2. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    forget the time table. i had put time limits on my coming out and then pushed it back, kicking myself each time. now i will do it when the time is right, in my case, when the divorce is settled and my son is ok with the offical change. that's my time table, when its right.

3. ForeverYoung000

Yes, your friends are correct . Whatever your heart tells you and what you feel is right and when it is best for you to do so. Me, personally I would confront my mom/dad once I'm ready to leave the house therefore I wouldn't have to worry about where would I stay or go if she decides to kick me out or disown me. I wouldn't want that to be done to you. If your parents are acceptable of LGBT community or have friends that are in that category, then slowly arise that topic again. But, I can't speak for you since I haven't yet commenced myself. Just do what the heart wants and you'll be fine. Luck to you! (*hug*)

Cute name by the way. :slight_smile:

#3 ForeverYoung000, Dec 29, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
  4. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It was your choice back then... Nobody forced you, right? That being said...
    Still nobody is forcing you to do something you don't want to...
    ... You could use a little help from your sister, if you feel insecure.(*hug*)

5. soulcatcher

You claim to be ready to come out to your parents. Then do it. You might want to test the waters though. Perhaps, you could bring up some news related to LGBT and show your support for equality, before asking them for their opinion. If they ask you for a reason on why you brought it up... Just casually mention that you're a lesbian.