1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FtMs: Stealth-Binding?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Bunny, Oct 19, 2008.

1. Bunny

'Kay, I know there aren't a lot of transguys around here, but I can't find anything elsewhere, so...

I'm not out to anyone yet, but I really, really want to start binding my chest. Unfortunately, there's not really any way for me to get my hands on an actual binder online without my parents finding out, and I've heard that using bandages can be unsafe and uncomfortable.

So short of wearing baggy clothes and slouching a lot (which I'm already doing), is there any way I could 'stealth-bind' without my 'rents finding out?

Oh, and I live in the middle of nowhere, so there's nowhere to get a binder offline, either.

2. Corny

Corny Guest

I have to admit that I have no clue about the whole topic, but I noticed that women's sports bras are very tight, and often make the breasts look smaller. Those might be a bit easier to get.

3. Danielle

Danielle Guest

Sports Bras sound like a good thing to use or wear a really tight t-shirt then put something really baggy over it

4. pirateninja

I've found thorough trial and error that a wide piece of ordinary fabric just does the job. Just cotton can do the job. You've just got to be careful not to wrap it so tight that you can't breathe though.

Although I've only used this for a couple of Drag King acts and not out and about. I don't know about any real difference there could be except for time. I only wore it for aboot an hour or so and it was comfortable. I don't know how it would feel if you wore it for 12 hours straight. A sports bra sounds good though, I make use of them for day to day wear.

5. Bunny

Yeah, I guess a sports bra sounds like a good plan, since I tend to wear baggy clothes anyway... Thanks for the advice!

6. Psychedelic Bookmarks

I don't even try and bind my breasts but sports bras still make me look like a guy... lol. Unless you're pretty busty, they should do the trick. :slight_smile:

7. Apocalypte

If you're small-chested, then a sports bra should flatten you down nicely. Especially if you get something like a Berlei "Made-From-Girders" Shock Absorber level 4... Alternatively, Under-Armor undershirts, particularly if you go for a very tight one, can be good too.

(I was looking into drag-kinging for a college event a couple of years ago, but then realised that at a 38DD I could never get the twins flat enough!)

8. HalfInsane

Under-armor shirts, especially if they're tight, would probably work well. Sports bras would probably work really well, too... although if you're a C cup or larger, that might not be a good option. Mind you I'm only basing that assumption on the few times I've worn one, so I certainly I haven't tried them all, but I can't see it being very successful.

#8 HalfInsane, Oct 20, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2008
  9. tobias antony

Whenever I bind, and I don't as much as I'd like to because of work and church and parents and all that stuff, I use an Ace bandage. But you are right that it's uncomfortable, and sometimes even hurts. Another good way to bind is to layer. I find that if I put 2 or 3 sports bras on, and several shirts, it helps. Hope this helps!

10. Miles D

Too-small sports bras usually work pretty well.
    Ace bandages work, but only if you're desperate. I used those for a while, but they made me have trouble breathing!

and I'm here for any questions you might have!