1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Love Won Out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Kat22, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Kat22

Hey ECers!

I need help! I work in a place where I am supervisor. I work with people my age, but I also work with a lot of high school students. One student, is 15 years old, and openly gay. He is the stereotypical feminine gay boy, and I love him to death. I wouldn't change him for the world...unfortunately, his mother will. She is sending him to the Love Won Out conference next weekend to "turn him normal." He just told me about it today. He is really nervous and scared. I want to be able to help him, but I don't know how. I am 20 years old, and by the laws in our state, I would get in a LOT of trouble if I just picked him up and took him away from it. Another issue is that the conference is 8 hours away from where we live. Does anyone have any idea? I have heard stories about it depressing and really mentally hurting people who are forced to go to these types of conferences against their wills.

What can I do to help him?!?!?!

2. Chris

what happens at these confences? I've just heard about them from you!

3. Kat22

Here's the site: http://www.lovewonout.com/

It sounds like they are all about love, but in all acutally when you get there, they try to help you "overcome same-sex attractions."

4. Chris

I just spit-up a little!

5. Bunny

Ugh, that's so messed up. :frowning2: I think you could at least try reassuring him that he's fine the way he is, he has nothing to be ashamed of, etc. before he goes...other than that, I'm not sure there's much you can do.

6. Kat22

He knows that I support him. We are "in the family." Ha ha. But really, I know that it bothers me and him too in our VERY conservative area of the country that we don't have have the support we would like. I can support him, but he needs straight people to support him too. Everyone in our workplace has no problem with it...but no one he has really talked to thinks him having to go to this is a big deal but me. They don't understand how much this weekend is going to hurt him...

7. Chris

i think that when he comes back you should debrainwash him by forcing him to watch a same-sex couple movie(PG).

8. n8i2c7k

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've looked at the site an i have to say, being forced to go to that would scare me shitless. I can say one thing for sure. no matter how horrible it is i dont think you should pick him up and take him away. besides the legal issues, "kidnapping" him will just drive his mom even crazier. if she doesnt like him being gay she probably wont be too keen on your rescue attempt. after that she might even be more opressive and just send him to another one.

Your friend should talk it over with his mom though. he needs to try to explain to her that this is who he is and if she really loved him she would accept him for it. not condemn him. but i'm guessing his mom wont listen to that or hasnt listened.

Other than that i really dont know what to say. i think he just has to live through it. it'll be hard and might be traumatizing but if he is completely sure about his sexuality and accepts it, theres really nothing they can do to him (is there?). he just has to have faith in himself. from the looks of it this thing only brags about "changing" people who DONT want to be gay. your friend just has to stick to his own understanding and acceptance of his sexuality.

The most you could do would be to support him. before and after. talk to him. tell him everything will be okay. he needs someones support now more than ever. especially afterwards. if he comes away hurt you need to help him through it. to reassure him. he'll need it.

idk. i hope this helps. i'm so srry for your friend. these people piss me the fck off. they sit in their high chairs and think they can dictate the fate of people they see as underneath. it sickens me. i hope he comes out of there okay :eusa_pray

9. Gumtree

There is very little you can do.

The only thing i can think of is to tell your friend to talk to his mother, if he can't talk her out of then it's time he outright said to her that he is not going, whether she likes it or not.

If she somehow manages to 'force' him to go, then perhaps it's time you equipped him with what's needed to not be affected by this conference.

10. musican

That is very sad and very sickening. How can places like this still exist? And how can a mother send her son there? I suggest that you have your friend talk to his mom, or maybe you could help him talk to her. That’s a tough situation because you want to make sure that you don’t make the situation worse when you’re trying to make it better. If neither of you can talk his mom out of making him go, then I guess just do your best to reassure him that being gay is fine and that you support him. I hope everything goes well.

(*hug*) for you, and (*hug*) for him

11. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

This is disgusting. Tell him to stay strong and go along with whatever they do at the conference and that you'll be there when he gets back. They try to propagate lies to these kids...scare them straight. If he is strong nothing will do this. Have you made it clear to the mother that this is sickening?

12. tashyyy

thats horrible!
    why try and make him something hes not :'(

13. Psychedelic Bookmarks

I think all you can do is: talk to him and reassure him about it being ok to be gay. Go through all the arguments they're likely to throw at him (it's unnatural, you're just longing for a father figure, it's against God's wishes etc) and help him to understand why they're wrong. Get him to have that clearly in his mind before he goes. Give him mental confidence that he is worthwhile and he doesn't (and can't) change. Then when he goes to this thing he'll have the strength to resist some of their bullshit, even if just in his head. Even so, when he comes back, be there to support him again because it will probably fuck him right up no matter how much you support him in advance.

Good luck, I feel so sorry for this poor guy (*hug*)

14. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    As tempting as it may sound, you can't kidnap him. I'd be tempted too! What you can do is take him information for him to give to his mother that talks about the dangers of reparative/conversion therapy. If you call your PFLAG chapter that is in this town, they can supply you with some good things to give his mother. In fact, my guess is they will be there doing their thing like we PFLAG people do. :slight_smile: Oh and you can stand outside those gates to the church or whatever with a big sign that says "Its okay to be gay". (try not to get arrested lol) Hang out with the PFLAG people. :slight_smile: I'm guessing it will be a big old smile on his face to see you there with that sign.

The thing about these conferences is they put alot of blame on the parents telling them that their kids are gay because either they had a missing father or their father didn't spend enough time with them growing up or they have a domineering mother. Alot of parents see this for what it is.......BS!

If you PM me with the location of the conference I will find out if PFLAG people will be there.

15. Enaithor

Surely his parents can't force him to go?

16. aaaaaa

aaaaaa Guest

I can't believe people would seriously go to such extremes as to try and force their child to be straight. It's not only ignorant on the parent's part, but also a danger to their son's mental health.

Just try to encourage him and offer support-- make sure he knows the "conference" is a load of nonsense and that he shouldn't listen to a word they say.

17. Mickey

My opinion? People might not agree with this ,but I'd call Family services and talk to a social worker. Desperate measures? Maybe. This is a desperate situation. Maybe someone there can intervene for this child. This is worse than horrible! It really could push him over the edge. This is what I would do. Like I said, it's just my opinion.

18. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Its worth a try but I'm guessing they wouldn't do anything about it.

19. Starshine16

I would be all for advocating this if I knew it would work,but I just don't know what a social worker could due unless it could be proved that attending this confrenece could be detrimental to his physical and mental health.Then and only then could the social worker intervene.

20. Mickey

That's what I meant. There has to be someone,somewhere, to put a stop to this...before it's too late. If people wonder why gay teens hurt themselves,and worse,this is a prime example. I'm wondering if this young man may have family,other than his mom,obviously,who can help him.Next to actually disowning your child,I think this is the worst thing a parent can do. Geez,I wish I could hide him,myself!:bang: