1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

should I come out to my girlfriend or a friend

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by littlecuriosity, Dec 29, 2014.

1. littlecuriosity

hey guys I've come out to myself about a month ago but I haven't come out to anyone els yet.

I have planned on how I'm going to do that tho I still have the problem of who to come out to. I have narrowed it down to my girlfriend or my best friend. But the thing is I have no idea how they're going to react.

So please, please help me decide I want to come out as quick as possible it's been tearing me apart :help: :icon_bigg

2. Wildside

Wildside Guest

well, as soon as you come out to one, you are going to want to come out to the other. but I would definitely come out to my best friend first, particularly if he is the kind of guy who will stand by you. Because once you come out to your girlfriend, you may need the support of that best friend. And he might be able to give you some support as you prepare to tell her. For him, this shouldn't change the nature of the relationship unless (a) he is a rabid homophobe, or (b) he is in the closet too and wants to jump your bones (which isn't such a bad option, in my book, though it would change the relationship). But with the girlfriend, man, that is a game changer! :thumbsup:

3. BisexualVanessa

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel like before you confront them about being who you are, you should feel comfortable with in yourself as if you are your safest place. If you feel like you are more comfortable telling your girlfriend then tell her first. I personally do not know your kind of relationships with both of them, however, I think you should tell your girlfriend first. As being involved in a relationship, it is important to confront things, that are troubling you. Also, with being in a relationship, regardless, she should be accepting and supportive of you being who you naturally are. If she is not, she is not worthy of you and this goes for anyone else. If they ask questions about being queer, if you know them automatically answer them and if you do not know certain answers to certain questions, you can look up a lot of research then. For example of LGBTQ facts, like on how being homosexual is natural, it has been established as not a disorder in 1973, homosexuality is in over 1,500 species and there are also trans animals. Regardless of how they react, you have to keep in mind to yourself to pursue on being proud, strong, happy, loving, open-minded, accepting and supportive of yourself. Remember that are supported by many, the world is changing and do not give into the heteronormativity. :slight_smile: This is great, keep on going STRONG!!!

4. littlecuriosity

thank you the both of you I think this should help me with my predicament and to be honest I'm absolutely shocked about how supportive and caring everyone is on this website and just reading your replies and help left me with a warm feeling inside knowing that someone actually cares about me or anyone els for that matter so to you two and everyone els that has helped me in any way shape or form thank you and just keep being you because people love you for it