1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

should i tell him?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by wolfy1, Dec 29, 2014.

1. wolfy1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    so basically i want to come out.. although im still a little unsure as to if im gay or bisexual(mostly gay). the first person who i want to tell is my best friend of nearly 10 years. i dont talk about my feelings and the BS of my life to many people... but i pretty much freely talk to him about that kind of stuff. so that being said, i do consider him my most trusted friend, and i think of him like a brother of mine. for the past year and a half we have not seen each other much since we both went off to college to different schools. we see each other as much as we can though.

all this being said, i know very little about his views on gays. hes not religious, and he has commented on singers who he likes(to listen to) who are bisexual and he made no positive or negative comment about them being bisexual. other than that i know literally nothing, ive just always avoided the subject with him and everyone in the past as i was not comfortable talking about it as my sexuality might have come up.

most people seem to think im straight but i think some question my sexuality, and i have been asked if i was gay a few times... but he is the only person who has "caught" me with proof. it was like 5 years ago he was sleeping over at my house and i went to bed, while he stayed up playing games on my computer. well some time during the night he went through my internet history and found gay stuff on there :eusa_doh:. he woke me up and asked me about it and i gave him a really lame excuse for it and we never talked about it again. so basically i think he kinda knows, but he never makes it clear on if he knows or not. he asks me about my girl status and things like that and i just ignore it and pass the conversation to something else.

so im not sure if i should come out to him or not. ive thought about telling him a few times when i with him but it never seems to be a good time. i cherish the time we spend together and i dont want to ruin it by bringing this up. but i feel the need to tell him. honestly the best way i can think to tell him is when i go to see him at college for a weekend. i guarantee we will be a little drunk, but i honestly think that will be the easiest. if im a little drunk i will be a little less tense and i could pull him out for a walk or w/e and tell him one night. its not really the best thing (being drunk) to do but i think its the only easy way i can get my self to do it. im not saying trashed or anything, but like after a few beers.

im just scared to tell him. i think he will accept me, but i wish i could know for sure, before i tell him. i dont want this to come between us, and that's what i fear. i dont know if i should or not.. but its like if i dont then i wont tell anyone, and will be stuck in the closet, and at the same time if i do come out to him, idk if i will want to tell others. like there are some other people i think i should tell such as my family but idk if i can. at least not until i move out and am on my own. its not because i think i will be kicked out, but rather i dont know if i can handle it... its complicated. if i was moved out then i could be like "hey im gay... so im going home now, see ya later".

idk. im rambling.

2. Gen

Gen

After browsing through your internet history, I doubt that he isn't aware at this point. Ultimately, if he is going to react poorly now, he will almost certainly react the same further down the road. You are going to have to confront the subject at some point. Though I would advise having the conversation with him early into the night. You don't want to wait until a point when one or both of you are so out of touch that you would have to repeat the whole thing in the morning. This is something that deserves a thoughtful and meaningful conversation.

Regardless of what happens, you'll be fine. Keep us updated on how things turn out. Best of luck!(*hug*)

3. Composerbpc

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First of all: Based on the information you've provided I don't believe he'd react negatively to you telling him. I think he'd be totally cool with it.
    Second: Coming out is scary so wait until you're ready. I'm not saying don't come out yet. You could come out right now, today, tomorrow, next week, etc.
    Third: I think you should just sit him down when the both of you have some alone time together and tell him that you're gay and that doesn't change anything between you two. Again I think he'll be completely okay with it so I don't think you'll have anything to worry about. Keep us posted on any progress/thoughts/concerns/etc.
    good luck to you
    :grin: