1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out in school.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by grapewhisperer, Dec 30, 2014.

1. grapewhisperer

I was considering coming out as transgender at school, but I don't know how. Some teachers still call me my birth name, and they all use the wrong pronouns, and I don't want to be awkward and ask them to change it. One teacher who calls me my birth name heard another student call me Ally and said "you weren't called that in year 7" as if she expected me to be the same person I was 4 years ago. There is currently no out LGBT students in my school and we have very little education on the topic, so I am unsure whether it is the right decision and if it would actually benefit me at all. Any advice? Thanks.

2. Images and Words

I would advise talking to a teacher you trust. Although I can't say i've tried it myself, if it's annoying you, I would say you may want to ask a teacher to tell the teachers you have to call you Ally, and use male pronouns, rather than calling you (female name) and using female pronouns. Hope this helped in some way!
    I&W (*hug*)

3. grapewhisperer

Thanks a lot, this is great advice. Hopefully I'll try and actually talk to someone because every time I try and stay behind after class I get really nervous and leave. Thanks again for responding.:icon_bigg

4. Images and Words

You're welcome. I'd had thoughts about talking to a teacher about being LGBT, because of homophobic parents, but talked to my friends instead. Teachers are (at least in my school) very accepting, at the end of the day, it is their job. Don't put yourself under pressure, though!