1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My sexuality isn't a joke (getting laughed at while coming out)

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by NewGirl24, Dec 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NewGirl24

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    When I tried to come out subtly to a few friends, they were like yeah haha and I didn't know how to react, so I laughed it off also. I also really want to tell my sister, but getting laughed at ruined the confidence and pride that I had. How do I fix it? How do I tell them that my sexuality isn't a joke? How do I come out to a family member also? I only have one friend who completely understands. I wish this was easier...

2. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I don't know how to help with this but it seems like to some people on the straight side bisexuality is just seen as curious straight women when it comes to females .
    I myself don't get my sexuality taken seriously either and even taken as a joke because people think lesbian just means bisexual but don't know it yet .
    I hate it but the only thing I can say is just be yourself because that seems like how people will see women like you and me who aren't heterosexual . Seems like female sexuality is just taken as a joke . Hmm you made me think of a knew thread .
    Sorry I couldn't help but there are some people that will not think it's a joke .

3. Tritri

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not sure how great this advice is, but I think you should just pretend that they took you seriously and go cool with it. Eventually they're going to have to genuinely wonder if you're serious or joking.
    I kind of think people thought I was joking too, but maybe they knew I was serious, or maybe they're wondering themselves. (see my out status)

4. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Well There was one straight guy I use to be friends with that took my sexuality as a joke , I came out to him and at first he ended up laughing . The trouble was he had a huge crush on me which didn't help .
    When I first came out he told me how it was a sin ,and how I would meet the right man and that it was him and that he was good in the bedroom and all that nonsense .
    For months this let on with him saying " You're bisexual right , I think all women are bi you just don't know it yet and you're not really a lesbian because your attractive "

Well as time went on he acted as if my sexuality didn't exist made jokes suggested 3 ways even tried to come on to one of my friends . When he realized how angry and annoyed I became with him to the point . He started realizing that I was serious and not joking .
    He also had tried to make me jealous but he would get no reaction .
    I think it did not hit him how serious I was til I told that I wanted to end our friendship due to some of his nasty and ignorant comments about my sexuality .

Well what I'm trying to say is the best you can do is just be yourself and sadly I don't think most people will respect a woman's sexuality or think it's a joke unless she's straight . Sadly that's the world we live in ,but if it bothers you or your frustrated feel free to come by and tell us about it .

5. IamThat1Guy

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    call ur grandparents, tell them, they will back you up, then get the friend that understands then take them home and tell ur parents

6. Hunter8

Is it possible that your friends thought you were joking with them? How did you go about actually telling them? It's also a possibility that the laughter was not malicious by nature. It could've been nervous laughter, which can often happen when we don't know what to say in light of a shocking development. I'm just saying that your friends may not have meant to purposefully make fun of you. One thing is for sure though. I don't think you need to worry about your parents having a similar response. They will surely give your words more weight than your friends did.

7. HappyGirlLucky

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This thread is a year and a half old. I think OP has figured it out by now. :slight_smile:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.