1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Homophobia in college

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Urman, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Urman

Urman Guest

Ok to make a long story short there has been a few problems with people who are homophobic in the dorm and wing i live in there are people who wright "Pledges are for fags" a pledge is for frats and feternity and ect this was writing on a openly bi kids white board in whom i know.So he printed out the definition from thinkbe4you speak website and he was told he had to take them down from a RA (resident assistnt) which i think is totally unfair ppl said they were offended by it.I am not out here but a day later he went to the head person the RD and he had the ok to put them back up its kinda of a weird situations.Him and his roommate don't get along so idk but there is so much drama here its crazy. Ill post up the pics that he gave me . Tell me what u think oh yea ps he blamed his roommate of being homophobic when he isn't he is a really nice person./so his roommate was questioned by the GSA person here and talk to him but he isnt homophobic.This bi kid i kinda stuck up in a way i guess. It upset me when they wrote this on the white board this white boards are small and can be brought at the school store.

What do you think about this?

pss we are in northern New York right next to canada and its kinda redneck country but alot off ppl are nice here

#1 Urman, Oct 20, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2008
  2. krazykyle

krazykyle Guest

3. Markio

Wait, people were offended by the definition of "fag"? I think it's worse to have written it in a derogatory context in the first place.

I go to a liberal arts college, and we have a QSA and probably a lesser amount of homophobia than your school. But it hurts that people can be so judgmental and apathetic about something that they don't have to experience.

I have a tendency to talk in funny voices throughout the day; I'm weird, big deal. Today I said something in a silly voice that must've sounded effeminate, and my roommate jokingly told me to stop acting gay. Oh if only he knew the truth! I secretly brushed it off and merely added that some people don't have a choice when it comes to acting gay. My other roommate (there's the three of us) says that's not a certainty. He believes that homosexuality is caused by the environment. He's at least willing to discuss the issue, so I guess he does have an open mind somewhat, but the fact that he would think I chose to be this way prevents me from telling him about my orientation.

How can I join QSA and urge people to support homosexual rights if I'm afraid to reveal my own sexuality to others? I just want to be myself; and I don't want to be treated differently because of who I am.

4. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Netspeak translation is a difficult job.

5. musican

i feel the same way. im in a very narrow-minded highschool and i want to start a GSA or at least have some kind of support for GLBT kids at my school but i'm not out so i cant really support rights or help people out if they want to talk about being gay or anything.

ive been think about it though. my guidance counselor mentioned that she has had many other students come in to her office and come out. there are only 3 out people that i know of but im sure that others are like me, afraid of harassed if they come out. i wonder if i could tell my guidance counselor that if GLBT kids want to talk to someone about being gay and the pressures and stuff then she can contact me. do you think that would be helpful without outing anyone?