1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out in India

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by oderint, Jan 1, 2015.

1. oderint

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi. Im new to this site. Need general consensus.
    Indian. Closeted. Should i come out.? Whom to first?

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Welcome to the community. :slight_smile:

My first question would be whether it would be safe for you to come out where you are in India? Are you in an area that is more 'open minded' or accepting of different sexual orientations?

Do you have a friend or somebody who you trust and know would be supportive, and someone who could provide you with some support during times when you need it?

3. Wildside

Wildside Guest

I've spent some time in India, and had some gay friends there (just friends). My impression was that they were able to live their lives without any trouble. They were out, and one was there for work and was able to get a visa for his partner to be with him. But I thought that homosexuality was actually illegal in India, and that "homosexual intercourse" was a criminal offense that could be punished with imprisonment. Has this changed? If not, it seems like you would have to be really discrete about coming out.

4. Images and Words

yeah, I have a homosexual friend who moved to India last year for 4 months due to his father's job. He didn't come out to anyone he met there, but he's very camp, so I imagine they picked up on it. He was fine, though, so, I imagine you would be fine. However, as Mirko asked, how open minded are the people you are talking to?

5. Wildside

Wildside Guest

well, the other thing to consider if maybe they just give expats a pass, but are stricter on Indian citizens. And I would think that rural areas would be much stricter than big cities like Mumbai or Chennai, just like in any country.