1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need help

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by jc88, May 16, 2007.

1. jc88

jc88 Guest

For a long time I've known that I wasn't straight but it is only recently that I've been able to use the term gay in relation to myself. My problem is I'm terrified of telling anyone. A lot of people I know wouldn't react very well to it. It's so bad that I was even afraid to tell my roommate this past year (I'm now a sophomore in college) who was openly gay. Actually, this is the first time I've ever told anyone else.

I haven't a clue what I should do about this. It's like every time I think about saying something, some part of me screams "are you crazy?!" I just can't do it. I don't even know who I would tell. I'm sick of feeling this way. What's worse is that all of my friends keep trying to get me to go out with girls. I've even had some girls ask me out, I told them no, and when one of them asked if I was gay I said "definitely not." That was just last year.

The truth is, I want what all of my friends have. I see them holding hands with their boyfriends and girlfriends and I get so depressed because I can't have that. That and I'm afraid of never finding a relationship because my roommate is one of those "sleep with anyone" types and that's the mental image I have of gays. He fits into the classic stereotype and I don't, not at all...except for my dislike of sports. One of my friends actually called me the "straightest person they know."

I just don't know what to do. :frowning2: If you read all of this, thank you. At least someone knows the truth.

2. Hi jc88, welcome to EC.

My advice to you is that if you arent comfortable with telling anyone, then just put that on the back burner for now. Don't worry about telling anyone. Get more used to it yourself, before you worry about telling others. And you said your roommate fits into a stereotype, but thats all it is: a stereotype. Not to be cliche or anything but it is true that not all gays are like that. You yourself even proved that its only a stereotype by saying you dont fit the preconcieved image. Plus, you can find someone who you like who isn't like that all, when you're ready of course. But take things slowly, get more comfortable with things and then take it from there. Im sorry for the long post, but i wanted to try and address each part of yours. We're all here if you need us ^^.

3. jc88

jc88 Guest

Thanks. I actually appreciate the long post a lot. I think part of my problem is that every time I think "gay" I think "them" not "me". I know I'm not straight but I still have trouble associating myself with "gay." That probably doesn't make any sense.

4. Believe it or not, it does make sense to me. For example, people in my school use the ever popular "That's so gay" to mean stupid. But for some reason I don't get offended cause I still think well it should offend gay people not me. But I actually am gay. So I think the same way you do, that I'm clearly not straight but for some reason gay means another type of person which does not include me. But im slowly edging towards realizing I am included in that group.

5. TeeBe

Before you think about telling other people, figure out what being gay means to you. easier said than done, but realizing that you aren't straight doesn't have to be a traumatic event. You seem very much like me: you repeatedly refer to yourself as "not straight" rather than gay. I am the exact same :grin:. From the time that I realized that I wasn't straight untill the time that I told my very first person (a lesbian friend of mine), I suffered in silence for six years! After that, it was another two before I told anyone else (which was only last week :S). Point? How and when you decide to tell anyone has to be your own choce, but EC is a great help!! You can have what your friends have, and you will, when the time is right.

6. jc88

jc88 Guest

Thanks to both of you. I guess you're right. It's just that waiting isn't easy. It's like the longer I go, the less chance I have. I thought I'd be able to do something in college, tell someone, but I had to be dumb and go to a university 30 minutes away from my house. Way to go me.....two of my best friends go there.

#6 jc88, May 16, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2007
  7. TeeBe

Is there a gay community at your university? Alot do, and even have "coming out" meetings. Talking with people in the same situation face to face may be hard, but knowing people around you in the same situation can't hurt.

8. jc88

jc88 Guest

There's the Gay-Straight Alliance but I've heard it referred to as more of a "gay dating service" than anything else.

9. KevinM

I agree what the others have said so far. You don't need to rush this, move at your own pace. If you're still coming to terms with it, that's cool. I've been coming to terms for three years now. I've only told two people last year and I wasn't even sure at the time.

I tried going to a campus group but found that the people there seemed to fit the stereotype while I do not. However, it was nice to go someplace where people would be receptive.

If you want though, my advice when coming out would be to someone very close to you that you know will keep it quiet. Personally, I told someone that normally lived far away, so she wasn't familiar with anyone from my home.

10. Jim1454

Hi JC88! Welcome to EC!

I agree with the other folks here as well - take you're time, and get comfortable with the idea yourself first. Its a really hard concept to get your head aroung - being gay. I've had the same struggle. Read some of my posts... you're not alone.

I try very hard to look at things from a 'glass is half full' perspective, rather than 'half empty'. So what I would say to you is - its great that you're developing an awaremess of this now, as opposed to even later in life (like me!). You've got about a 15 year jump on me. As well, it's great that you've found this forum, because it is really helpful to be able to share and vent and 'expose' ourselves in this really supportive, (anonymous) and positive environment.

If ever you want to chat more, just PM me. I'm always happy to chat - here or on msn.

Good luck, and again - Welcome!

11. jc88

jc88 Guest

Hey, thanks to everyone who responded. I really really appreciate it. You're all right...I think I just need time to let this set in myself before I even consider telling anyone else.

12. xequar

Yep, that's the best thing you can do is take some time to sort everything out for yourself. Even after I came out, I still had a few weeks of adapting to living as a gay person, so it most definitely is not an overnight process. Just take it easy and you'll be able to feel your way through it.

13. jc88

jc88 Guest

I went to a movie with a friend last night and he was talking about how he's really upset because he broke up with his girlfriend and stuff....all I could think of, besides how bad i felt for him, was "at least you had someone to break up with." I don't know...I never really felt like this before so it's weird. I feel really lonely when I see all my friends with their "significant others."

14. tinkerbell

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Ooh, I can relate to that.

15. TeeBe

*Nods in agreeance...*

16. jc88

jc88 Guest

At least I know I'm not the only one.

Of course, now I've got this problem with a girl from school who likes me. She also just happens to be staying 20 minutes away from me over the summer, so she's always trying to hang out with me. She's my friend and all but...I'm not interested in her for obvious reasons (obvious to me anyway). I'm not really sure what to do about the whole thing. Any ideas?

17. You could always use something covert like "Well you know we're friends and if we take it further and it turns nasty, it'll be hard to go back to being friends so I don't want to take that risk" or something of that nature.

18. amanda

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    How comfortable do you feel with this person, maybe you could practice with her and tell her you love her as a friend, but nothing more. How does she feel about homosexuality??
    If she is accepting and non-judgmental, maybe you could confide in her at some point...
    I found my confidante in my mom and stepdad, go figure.
    I guess my sister-n-law too, but everyone else, even my best friend says ssshhhhh
    ok, well enough for this book, good luck,
    amanda

19. BILL9854

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think aswell once you get used to the idea yourself, you'll realize being gay is EXACTLY the same as being straight, except you have relationships with members of the same sex.
    Once you realize this it becomes much easier to tell others and explain to them you're not suddenly going to change.
    Ooooh it's awkward when girls ask you out when you're still in the closet, I hated that, no easy way out of that really.

And Emp I relate with something you said earlier, I still say 'thats so gay' sometimes, and in fact today I called a straight friend 'a big poof' without even realizing untill it was out my mouth, then he called me a 'cock smoker' and we both laughed about it. (he knows I'm gay by the way)
    Words don't bother me much, as you can tell :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

20. hehehe yeah they dont bother me either. But I as well say thats so gay by default only cause everyone else does. But after i do it I go oops because I know there could be people around I'm offending. So I dont do it often but sometimes. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: