1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out as questioning?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by cherry tree, Jan 2, 2015.

1. cherry tree

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I've been trying to figure out whether I'm straight or bi for a year now. I still don't know and while I realise that some people just take longer than others, I sometimes feel really alone with this (although I know there are probably people out there in similar situations).
    I haven't really told anyone and I don't know if I should. I have a few friends in mind who I could tell but there are a few things I would rather avoid and I just don't know if telling them/one of them would be worth it.
    I don't want to say "hey, I might be bi" and then figure out I'm straight. I don't want anyone to think I'm just bored or looking for attention.
    Also, this isn't really something they could actively help me with, right? I have to figure this out myself and I don't know what I would even want to say to my friends. Just dropping the information and not saying anything else seems weird but trying to explain that I honestly don't know if I like girls would be incredibly difficult. I can't even explain it to myself.
    I'm torn between wanting to share this with someone and wanting to be sure first.

2. Really

Is there something that has made you think you like girls? Is it the same feeling you have for guys? Maybe you need to have a bit more clarity (not that there's a whole lot of that to be had) for yourself. If you have someone you're used to sharing very personal things with, they might be someone to start with you're ready.
    You could also check out an LGBT resource centre/counsellor. Telling a stranger might be easier because they only know what you tell them and so have no preconceived notions about you.
    And, of course, reading and posting here can be very helpful, too. :]