1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Impossible?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by spellbound118, Oct 21, 2008.

1. spellbound118

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey first to say sorry for making another thread but got a lot on my mind at the moment, may actually explode soon. Anyway staying on topic im looking for some advice. I'm 17 and have never had a proper relationship, i've had a couple of boyfriends but obviously they didn't exactly go very well! Both guys were mates of my brothers (who is a year older then me). So that's how i got to know them. To put it simply my confidence is non existant, im working on it, but it isn't gonna happen any time soon. Going to any sort of clubs is out of the question let alone gay ones. And seen as i don't know any gay girls it's basically leaving me with no options as far as meeting someone goes. Relationship could help me a lot right now, but don't seem possible to meet anyone.

I've considered online dating sites but i have a few worry's with them. First of all you don't know who your really talking to. Second my confidence would pose problems, such as putting photos up. Plus i've heard that most sites people aren't looking for relationships or if there are even people as young as 17 on them.

So yeah... single forever then??

2. Jim1454

Forever? No.

For a while? Likely.

You'll find that most people on this site are or were in the same boat at your age. Movies and TV might suggest that someone your age should have fallen in love by now and had a serious relationship, but that's simply not the case with most people in real life. So don't sweat it.

The standard suggest would be to join a LGBT youth group and see if you can make some friends there. A friendship that develops into something more serious is always a possibility.

Good luck!

3. Fiorino

Hey-don't fret! 17 is still young-there are people on this site
    that are much older than that and only coming out now.
    You've got a huge head-start on them already!
    Also-are you really ready for a relationship or do you
    just want someone to "fill a hole" in your heart?
    I know this is not what you want to hear, but you
    need to concentrate on yourself first, before you
    pursue adding someone else to the equation.
    Learn to love yourself, work on your self-confidence
    and you'll be a million times stronger by yourself!
    The right girl for you will come around, but there
    is a difference in wanting her and needing
    her. How can you expect someone else to love you
    when you don't (fully) love yourself? So-right now,
    the girl for you is...well, you! Fall in love with yourself
    (in a healthy way of course) and the rest of the pieces
    will fall into place when the time is right.
    I'm currently following my own advice.

Hope that helped.
    (*hug*)(*hug*)

4. spellbound118

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

5. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    >>>I know what your saying but i don't think that will ever happen. i hate myself and always have. I feel like i can face that better with someone beside me. Someone that proves to mum that i can find happiness with a girl, it doesn't have to be guy. That it works just the same. Just feel like its the right time to build something with someone but have no idea where to look to find anyone...

This is some dangerous ground you're on. Not only do you think "it's time for a relationsihp", but you have a bit of an axe to grind, and want a relationship to "prove" to your mother that two girls can make it work.

In other words, right now, the relationship is more important than whoever the girl is who will actually be in it.

It's a common trap to fall in to. People walk around with an arm around an invisible person, with a sign - "Insert boy/girfriend here". But that's not how it works. What happens is that you meet somebody, you two click, and then you start building a relationship up together. Relationships are great, no question. But with the right people. It's all too common for people to get into relationships because "they need somebody" or "they're tired of being lonely" or "all their friends are". There's nothing wrong with wanting to be in a relationship, or actively searching for a boy/girlfriend. But never ever put the relationship before the person. Being with somebody who is unsuitable for you is not "better than nothing". It's significantly worse than nothing. And given your current level of self-esteem, I doubt that anything good can come from a "whatever" relationship for you.

So are you doomed to be alone forever? No, not at all. For a couple of reasons. You may say you've always "hated" yourself, but most people find that wearing off - at least to some degree - as they get older. As we get older, we become more comfortable with who we are, our strengths and weaknesses, all that. We may not be crazy about the less-than-ideal things about ourselves, but we eventually stop shuddering at our ugly face or fat body or crappy fashion sense. We just sort of learn to shrug it off. And as you become more comfortable with yourself, you'll build up a bit of self-esteem. No, you won't think you're God's gift to (gay) women. But you'll see yourself in the same league as everybody else. And if you're in the same league, you at least have a decent shot at something happening.

Do work on not hating yourself. It's not easy to overcome, but it's utterly worth it. One easy place to start - love what you do. Whatever you like to do. Whatever music, TV, movies, books you like, LIKE them. LOVE them. Full on. Not in that "my friends would hate me if they knew I liked this" way but in the "This is what I love" sort of way. And that goes double for any hobbies. If you love building sand castles, killer - build sand castles as often as you can. Take pictures of them and put them on your wall. Keep track of your sandcastles on a website. Tell your friends about your latest sand castle adventure. Because that sort of crap is what makes us unique, what makes us interesting.

Lex

6. Mickey

Lex is right. I have gotten into bad relationships because I wanted a relationship. I didn't stop and think if this was a good person to be with,first. I was lonely and just wanted to be with somebody. It doesn't work that way. I know you want things NOW,but don't dive into the deep end without looking first. It can only bring pain and more misery to your life.
    Give yourself time. It will happen,when it's right.
    Getting into a lgbt group sounds like a good idea. There you will be with people like yourself and have others to talk to.
    You may not like to hear this,but,as you get older,your priorities change. What may seem so important now,might not be what will be important later.
    We live in a society that wants instant gratification.
    Rushing into things is not only foolish,but can be dangerous,as well. Don't put yourself through that. Relax and find out who YOU are,before bringing another person into it.
    It will make all the difference in your future happiness.
    Good luck in whatever you do. I am NOT trying to tell you what to do or how to live your life. I'm just giving you advice,from my own experiences. Mickey**

7. spellbound118

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah i guess you guys are right. Just think im ready for a relationship if i new how to find a great person.

As for the hobby thing you should see my room ! I am completely obsessed with harry potter, like honestly you have no idea how obsessed, every inch of my room is covered in it and im openly proud to be a hp fanatic to my mates :grin:

8. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^ And that's how you start, HarryPotterFanatic. :slight_smile:

Lex