1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I come out to a teacher?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by NinjaInTraining, Jan 3, 2015.

1. NinjaInTraining

I haven't told anyone of my sexual orientation and I've felt for a while now the need to come out to someone. I don't want to come out to my family just yet. However I don't want to have this conversation with my friends. This is because I want to get a lot of things related to my sexuality off my chest. I know that my friends would accept me as being gay, but they aren't interested on talking about relationships etc. and wouldn't want to have this conversation.
    At my school my PSE teacher is always saying how if we ever have any problems or just want someone to talk to she is always there and won't pass on any information to anyone you don't want her to. She is one of my favourite teachers and i would feel more comfortable talking to her about it than any other teacher at my school.
    If I did come out to her first and spoke about everything I want to, I would feel better about coming out to my close friends. My question really, is should I come out to my teacher first?
    Thank you to anyone who repliesxxx

2. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Heya,

If you feel she is trustworthy and will not spread the information without your consent, then i think it is indeed a good idea. In a few years i will be a teacher myself, and i will do my best to listen and help students that come to me seeking advice.

Unfortunatelly, not every teacher is prepared for that. Be a little carefull, but, like i said, if you feel she is trustworthy, then why not?

Hugs

3. NinjaInTraining

Thanks!
    I dont she would tell anyone and being a PSE teacher, she has briefly spoken about how it's ok to be LGBT and said she is there to help. I just felt like it may be weird to come out to a teacher before friends or family.

4. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It isn't weird if she is someone you trust :slight_smile:

If you decide to do it, good luck!

5. NinjaInTraining

I've been thinking about doing this for a while, so thanks. And good luck with the teaching career!

6. OOC73

Definitely agree that this teacher sounds like an excellent choice for the person you can turn to. The reason she said those things was to open the door for anyone who was struggling to know that they could come to her in confidence for support. You need not fear coming out to her.

The only reason your school would ever need to break your confidence is if they felt there was a child protection issue - for example if you came and said "I'm gay and my Dad says he hates gay people and if I ever say I'm gay he's going to disown me". Then your safety and welfare would be paramount to them and they might involve external services to help support you.
    As things currently stand, there is no such need for anyone else to be involved, and so you can be assured that what you tell her will be treated kindly and in confidence. Don't worry. It's a really good idea to talk to someone outside of friends and family that you trust first, because they aren't emotionally involved and can support you to come to terms with everything in your own time, coming out only if and when you are ready to at a pace that suits you.

Having an outlet like that is an amazing thing to be able to call upon. Do make use of it, it will be of great help to you.

7. iam324b21

iam324b21 Guest

I'm in the same boat as you. If you feel like you can trust her, I'd say go for it. If I had the courage, I'd come out to my favourite teacher, because I know she'll accept me and she is open about her life with me.

Best of luck if you do decide to share that aspect of yourself with her.

8. NinjaInTraining

So, earlier today I did come out to my PSE teacher. She was very kind and supportive. I ended up speaking with her for about twenty minutes and throughout the whole conversation, she kept saying how brave she thought I was for being able to come out. She also said that she was flattered that I felt like I trusted her enough to come out to her.
    She also gave me a leaflet that had a list of good websites (similar to this one) and groups that helped LGBT teens in my local area. She promised none of what I told her would be passed on and I could come back to speak to her whenever I want.
    Overall I feel a lot better for telling an actual person. Thank you so much to everyone who replied and helped to encourage me to do this! XD

9. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations! I'm really happy for you!

Also... hooray for teachers! :grin:

10. gamerguy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Congratulations and well done! Just wondering, is EC on that list too? XD. Anyways, I am not out ATM, but if I come out to anyone, there's quite a chance it'll be my English teacher from last year. She's very kind, funny, and also openly lesbian. That last one is the main reason who I think should know, and I also don't know any openly gay people, besides her :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. And, good luck on your journey of coming out!