1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wanting to come out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by SpaceCactus, Jan 3, 2015.

1. SpaceCactus

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm pretty new here, but here we go

for the past month or so I've been thinking a lot about coming out to my parents. I've known I'm pansexual for the last year, and I hate seeing my parents assume that I'm straight any longer. but, there's a few things that really worry me. Both of my parents are christian. my father seems to be completely against homosexual relationships, but he's never really talked about it. my mother, on the other hand, has a "love the sinner, hate the sin" mentality that honestly is just as bad. I trust her more, but I have no idea how she'll react and I really don't want to lose our strong relationship. I'm thinking about coming out to my mom in a text message, mainly because I know if I try to come out in person I'm probably gonna break down in tears and not say everything I want to. I don't want to wait until I have a relationship with someone who isn't male, but I'm really having trouble getting the courage!

Any advice?

#1 SpaceCactus, Jan 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
  2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there, and welcome to Empty Closets! :slight_smile:

It's great that you have come out to yourself, and feel ready to come out to others, including to your parents. What might make it a bit easier is trying to come out to a friend or two first. Coming out to a friend that you trust, and know would support you, could help you in building up some more confidence and courage. Knowing that your parents could go either way in their reaction, it might be worthwhile to start building up your support network first.

Given that you are not sure as to how your mom might react, how would you feel about bringing up a LGBT related topic in a conversation or try to build a conversation around it, to see what your mom says? Her answer might very well give you some insights into how you could approach your coming out.

3. SpaceCactus

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you for the feedback. :slight_smile: I'm probably gonna try the things you recommended. (*hug*)