1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I don't know whether to come out to adult children

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by happyhamster144, Jan 4, 2015.

1. happyhamster144

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hi
    While my husband was in the process of telling my oldest son we were separating he also told him why, that his Mum was gay. I was not ready to tell the kids yet as it was still early days for me .
    The question I have is what do I do about my other two kids, do I tell them or not.
    They all live at home and by biggest concern is, is it fair to ask the oldest one to keep this secret until I am ready to tell the other two?
    My feeling is to wait but I feel guilty asking my son to keep this to himself.
    They are all in their early 20's

2. Black Raven

Black Raven Guest

No matter the age or circumstances, the choice of when and how to come out is always yours by right.

If you'd like your eldest to keep quiet until you feel ready to approach your other boys, I'd do so.
    Since I didn't pick up any drama or heartache so far, he was quite acceptive, rite?
    If so, I don't see why he would have any problems respecting your choice and not sharing until you do.

3. happyhamster144

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thanks
    No drama. He is quite open minded has several gay friends so I expected him to be ok.
    I think the other two will be ok about it as well.
    Just not sure how much difference it makes being a parent telling them this. Also I need to be more used to the idea.

4. mapleluv

My two cents: it's probably way more upsetting to your children to have you separating from your husband & them having no idea why than it would be for you to just tell them now. The choice is yours, but put yourself in their shoes. They are your children; they will love you no matter what, & they are certainly old enough to understand how complex life, relationships, & sexuality can be at times!

5. treatmeright

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    The choice should be yours from the start, but since the cat already out I think the children should hear it from you before it reach them else way. And I think they will understand this generation have an open mind much more than us in their age.

6. pennylane1988

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you should tell your kids, they will understand, I'm sure. They will thank you for your honesty :slight_smile:

My parents got divorced when I was 17 because my father is gay. I was grateful he explained to me the reasons why they were separating. He didn't do it right away, he waited a few months until he felt ready to come out to me. It was a hard time for me because divorces are always painful, but I didn't care at all at the fact that my father was gay, what mattered to me was that he was happy.

7. whatdoIneed

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    One thing to think of- while you have the right to decide who to come out to and when, waiting to tell them puts your oldest in a bad position. His younger siblings may be upset he kept it from them. Unfortunately your ex put you in a bad position.

8. happyhamster144

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hi Pennylane
    Would you have rather been told as your parents separated do you think it would have made it easier knowing why from the start?

Have to admit I was fuming at my ex for doing what he did.

9. pennylane1988

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Tbh I don't think so. It would have been too much to digest for a 17yo, I think. I needed time to process even if I say repetedly that I was more than ok with them separating. If I was in my early 20s like your kids, I'd have wanted to know, though.
    Make sure you're there for your kids and you answer any question they have on the matter but also leave them space to process. It's a big change not only for you but for them and they might need time to accept it. Everything will be ok, don't worry :wink:

If you want to know something else, just ask! I'm glad my experience is useful to someone :slight_smile:

#9 pennylane1988, Jan 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
  10. happyhamster144

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Just thought I would let you know what my thoughts were. I will tell them sooner rather than later just not quite there yet. All your thoughts were things I had considered myself so I am obviously not that far off. They are good kids, we are a close family. and I think they will understand why I had to take my time. The oldest one is a bit uncomfortable but he is ok.

11. pennylane1988

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It was hard and uncomfortable for me too. From the beginning I was ok but it took me a while to be able to talk about it and really accept it. Don't push your kid. Let him some space.
    I wanted to mention earlier that I have a younger sister and that I kept it a secret from her for many years. I think is fair to ask your older kid to keep it a secret too. He will understand that it's not his place to tell.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

12. happyhamster144

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hi
    An update to the above post .
    I finally decided to tell my middle son who is 22 that I was gay and that is why his Dad and I where splitting up.
    And his response was that's ok Mum I'm bisexual!
    Not a huge surprise sort of suspected anyway. (!)

13. Wildside

Wildside Guest

it should definitely be your choice, but the reality is that once we tell one person, we no longer have control over the information. Not fair, but that's how life seems to go. Add gossip and bad intentions into the mix, and it can get ugly. The one thing that you can do to stem that off is to be the first one to tell someone, so they hear it from you and don't get confused by other people's half stories. Each child can understand it in accord with their maturity and level of understanding. I don't think that it will really get easier as they age. It is your choice, by rights, but someone may beat you to the punch, as your husband already has with the oldest. But if the oldest is handling that well, perhaps that is a good indicator of how the others will respond.