1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I want to?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Hopeful, Jan 4, 2015.

1. Hopeful

Hi, I've been on this website for a while for awhile and need some kind of advice.

I'm 22 and female. I've dated a guy in the past (for just under three years) but that ended 2 1/2 years ago and since then and before then, have never dated anyone else. I'm bisexual but nobody really knows it. People assume I'm straight because of my ex, but I know I'm not straight. I like girls, too.

What I'm trying to figure out, is do I tell people? Why or why not? The only people who know are people on here, penpals from other countries and I did tell someone I know from my EMT class last year - via text the other day. He made a comment about the lads I'll meet when I'm in Europe next year (going this summer!) and I said "or ladies" and he asked. So that sort of felt like a big deal, telling him, but he doesn't know my friends or my family so at the same time - I feel like it doesn't really count.

At this point I don't know if it's worth it to tell people, because I'm pretty self-contained with my feelings and thoughts and people don't know when I have a crush on someone. Maybe I wait until I'm actually in a relationship with a woman? Or do I tell people now? There is a girl I like, but I don't know if she's straight or not... and I don't know her well enough to feel comfortable saying "oh yeah, I'm bi. And I like you."

Any similar stories? Ideas/thoughts? Thanks!

2. mangotree

I guess the main question you've got to ask yourself is - will coming out improve my life and/or my self-worth?

3. Wildside

Wildside Guest

Congratulations on coming out to your friend! That definitely counts. If you come out more, then other people may be more likely to approach you. It's kind of like with this woman you are interested in, you just don't know. Well, same with you. There could be someone interested in you, but they just don't know. Pick and choose who you come out to based on what feels right, and what makes sense. Family is always tricky, but an advantage of coming out sooner rather than later is that it will be one less thing to worry about when the time comes that you want to introduce the love of your life to them.