1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questioning if coming out was even worth it. It was my best and worst decision.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by phoenix89, Jan 6, 2015.

1. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am glad to be out, 6 years in the closet was far too long. However, if I knew it would lead to where I am now, I might not have done it.

It will be a year this February since I openly started questioning my sexuality. In this past year, I have started questioning, went to a weekend church retreat a week after I started questioning, load and behold it was lead by an ex-gay speaker, just my luck. I refused to ever go back to my church after this. I came out to my best friend, roommate at the time and was my boyfriend for a few months, a month after I started questioning, came out to family a few days later. Most of friends and all of my family (who knows) have been supportive, yay.

A month after I came out, I started to seriously question my faith, when I started this, I complete shut down, I didn't want to do anything besides lay in bed and cry.

I hated and still do hate that Christianity and being Bi clash so f:***:king much. I ended up using my cross to hurt myself one night, I am still really ashamed of that. My best friend had to sit and watch me face the hardest battle of my life, do I stay a Christian or not. I ended up losing my faith on May 18, and til this day I am so upset about that.

There is part of me who wish I never came out, if I never came out, I would still be a Christian, still be able to attend church and still have the faith community, but no I am not allowed that because I decided that I wanted to be true to myself. This is why I don't like putting myself first. I make a decision, and I have to pay for it, I can't just be happy, I have to fight and suffer and go through hell for months and years, just to experience a little bit of happiness. It f:***:king suck, and it is too late now to even change it, I am too far in to it. I know I will be happier person when this is all said and done with, but did I really have to lose everything that I identified with to get to that point?

#1 phoenix89, Jan 6, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
  2. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Perhaps it may help that what you "lost" was faith in a form of Christianity that does not tolerate us.

There are other ways to find the comfort and meaning that religion offers without having to suffer the insufferable. There are other denominations and churches that are accepting, are these available to you?

3. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't even believe in God anymore. When I needed him the most he wasn't there. I prayed for everyday for over a month for his help for a sign for something, and there was nothing there.

The thought of going to church scares me. The closest possibly accepting church appears to be a little over 10 miles away.

4. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Could we call this a period of mourning then? The loss of certainty and the loss of comfort that losing one's faith entails?

Mourning needs to happen, it takes time and reflection on what it is that is lost, but also on what was gained.

In the meantime, have this from me: (*hug*)

5. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We can call it that, yea. I am mourning, mourning the lost of my faith, of my community, of the sense that there was something more. I feel so small and alone since I lost my faith. I know I can improve and become a stronger person, I just haven't yet. I'm scared to make the last step because that means leaving the last little bit of comfort zone I have left behind and starting completely new.

Thank you Greatwhale.

6. gazwkd

gazwkd Guest

Perhaps something to look at?Humanism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

However on the flip side just because you have accepted who you truly are does not mean you should necessarily lose your faith. Faith is not bound in bricks and mortar - that's all a church is, a building nothing more or less.
    Every individual who follows the christian/catholic religion should read and interpret the Bible for themselves - not let others do it for them (*hug*)

7. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I tried to keep my faith, I did but I couldn't. I didn't help myself by getting involved with a church that was less than accepting. My beliefs from being pro GSM to being a universalist were wrong. I was told that universalism was offensive Christianity.

Thanks for the link :slight_smile: