1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mormon

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by tristian16, May 16, 2007.

1. tristian16

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ive been Mormon my whole life and I've only told close friends i know would accept me that I'm gay. I have not told my parents because I'm afraid thy would disown me. But i have a crush on someone who is also Mormon and i now that he doesn't like being Mormon. I've thought about telling him but then again, the whole excommunication and disowning thing arises.

2. ampthejazz

Watch the movie "Latter Days." It's about someone who struggles with the same issue.

In all seriousness, I've never been in a situation like that before, so I don't really know what to say. I mean, I could tell you that you just need to think of what's most important to you, your religion and your acceptance in your family, or your sexual orientation, but that's the obvious problem.

3. I have a friend who was raised in a Mormon home. Starting in her teens, she's experimented with and experienced all kinds of things that the Mormon church frowns upon, and though she's not gay herself, she's very pro-gay rights. She's very clearly told her family that she does not consider herself Mormon anymore because there are certain tenets with which she just does not agree. But she's also told me there are a lot of things about the Mormon church that she loves and respects very highly. Her mom has grown to respect her stance and accepts her, and her mom has also persuaded her bishop (it's bishop, right?) to not excommunicate her. Even though my friend doesn't consider herself Mormon anymore, she did not want to be excommunicated - which is funny but totally understandable at the same time.

Anyway, I'm not Mormon myself, so I can't directly relate, but I can relate to the more general idea of a disapproving Christian religion playing a huge role in your decision-making in life. As for telling your crush, I think it might help to be very logical about it: weigh the strength of your feelings and the trust you have in him against the possible consequences and worst-case scenarios. Then go with whatever you decide.

Good luck! *hug* :slight_smile:

4. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
  5. aprilblue426

lol see i told u ppl would b willing to help u out! well, i dont' really have anything more to post than i've already told u in person so...yeah. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: