1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a typical debacle with an atypical catch

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by adventure on, Jan 6, 2015.

1. adventure on

Out Status:
    All but family
    Hey all, I've got the typical problem-- i'm terrified of coming out to my parents and later, by extension, my family. I just want to come out in the realm of "yo, I like girls" as opposed to trying to explain what on earth is going on as far as gender in my head... if only because I have literally no idea.

So there's the atypical hitch. I have a basically non-existent relationship with my mother. I've been back in her house for break from school (I go to school in Maine, six hours away) since the first week of December, and I've only been alone with her for maybe 20 minutes? Between her being attached at the hip to her boyfriend and the fact that I may avoid her like the plague (we don't get along, but that's not my worry here), we never actually talk. I doubt she'll care. My grandmother, who lives with us as well, is always posting stuff that's "in support" on Facebook and whatnot, so again, I doubt she'll care.

My dad and stepmother also probably won't care but again, it's bringing it up. I also worry about my half sister-- she's only six. That, and... well, she's got the same name as my girlfriend.

But okay, getting down the actual "question" part of this... I go back to school on Sunday. Would it be frowned upon to just put my relationship status on Facebook, like, is that a total cop out? Okay, I know it's totally a cop out, but... I don't know what else to do.

2. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Have you thought of dropping hints ?

Did you bring up the subject, like a conversation about the l-word ?

Some people come out in a letter...

3. ginoza23

Hey,

Going through the same thing too:slight_smile:
    Try by talking more about LGBT issues. Or just comment on people you find attractive. I do that, i think my mother is starting to get the idea. Just casualy drop, " hey that girl is hot." Just little hints not to extreme yet. You dont want to shock them so much you face backlash.

Good luck! :slight_smile: