1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reactions from friends after coming out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by OtherMe, Jan 7, 2015.

1. OtherMe

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hey again, posted quite a few recently, this post is mainly aimed at teens 13-18 but anyone older who came out during this age it kinda applies but I'm thinking more for reactions nowadays. I was just wandering how your male friends and male best friends reacted when you came out and if you found they opened up more to you or not. I would also like to know if there are any signs that you can tell before coming out that they might push you away. Thanks

OtherMe

2. KingJude

I came out to my best friend a few weeks ago. I cried for hours because he was so supportive. Because I have shared something so private with him, he is now much more open with me too. His initial response (I came out by message) was 'I promise it will change nothing between us.' That was a lie. Our relationship has improved since I came out to him. Honestly, he could not have been any more supportive. It's a brave thing to do, and if you think you're friends will be accepting, I have only found it to improve your relationship, not hinder it!

3. Pie

Pie Guest

I came out to a good male friend of mine today. He said that taking physics in college is a bad idea because there are a lot of guys and few girls... I replied that it wasn't always a bad thing and he got the hint! He took it very well apparently, but we didn't discuss it, I just mentioned (or hinted at) it in passing.

He's probably the most open minded person I know. The kind of person that can joke about LGBT people and you know he doesn't mean any harm and that it is only a joke.