1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moved to the Caribbean - feelings appeared and wouldn't go away (lengthy)

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ohthemoon, Jan 7, 2015.

1. ohthemoon

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Okay so six months ago I moved to a Caribbean island with a volunteer organization. I was going to try to maintain a long-distance relationship with my girlfriend in the US, but after a couple of months I knew it wouldn't work, so I broke it off. I have been a serial monogamist for the past six years or so, and I knew I wouldn't find a girl quickly in a new culture, so this was a big deal.

Fairly soon after that, I started having these thoughts that maybe I was bi. I ignored them thinking that they were just random thoughts, but they kept coming back. Multiple times per week. It was really confusing because I kept on telling myself that the thoughts I was having in my own head "weren't mine". But the more it happened, the more I had to face that they were my own thoughts, and did not seem to be going away.

A little background on me, I have been occasionally mistaken as gay for years. I'm told that my mannerisms are very feminine, that I have a very "light on my feet" (supposedly gay) walk, plus I learned in a sociolinguistics class that I have a fairly feminine communication style. My closest friends have always been girls, and for that reason I'm often considered "one of the girls" and they have blunt conversations about their boyfriends with me around, etc etc. Never bothered me.

Anyway, I had been suppressing the speculation about my sexuality for months when I was talking with my American neighbor (I'll call her Aurora) about how there was a lesbian woman in our neighborhood who had a thing for Aurora. While she was put off by her bluntness (she asked if Aurora was a virgin when she met her), it was obvious to me that if she had been more tactful, Aurora would have been interested in her.

I inquired about this and she agreed, saying that she was "bi or something", she does't like labels. For some reason this was what I needed to hear, and I finally admitted to someone that I was questioning my orientation. We talked about it for a long time, and I was finally able to be honest with her (and myself) about what I have been going through.

Since then, I have finally been able to admit to myself that I am also attracted to men. It feels weird to even type that, but it doesn't feel wrong. I'm able to talk to Aurora about which men in our community I think are attractive, and I'm actually being honest!

I have reached out to two other friends in the States (one of whom went through a similar confused struggle), and they have both been very supportive. I also realized that these feelings have come up after previous breakups, but I was always in such a rush to fill the relationship void that I never explored them.

The unfortunate thing is that while lesbianism is somewhat accepted in the island where I live, male homosexuality is not. Knowing that, I have no means by which I can comfortably explore with my newly fluid sexuality, at the risk of alienating myself from an island community that is small enough that everyone knows everyone. If I were still in the States I would feel comfortable experimenting (I have many friends in the queer community), but I don't feel like I can do it here and risk ruining my reputation by revealing that I'm a "bati boy". I'm here for the next two years, too, so I am stuck.

Any feedback would be helpful, I'm just curious to know if there's anything I can do. I want to figure out more about this part of myself, experiment, etc., but I have no idea how.

[Side note: two eerie coincidences happened after I finally told someone.] 1 - Aurora told me that she'd been counseling her friend who's been going through the exact same thing, literally the night before. The spooky thing is that he even looks like me. 2 - After I told an old friend of mine about it, she talked with her mom about it. Two days later, her mom came out to her as a bisexual, and said that my story had given her the strength to come out as well. I'm not one to read into coincidences, but this kind of makes me feel like I'm on the right path.

#1 ohthemoon, Jan 7, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
  2. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Well you might start to slowly get aquainted with the people you know... just like you do...