1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Easier Said Than Done

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by alonelywalrus, Jan 8, 2015.

1. alonelywalrus

Out Status:
    All but family
    Hullo! I'm Robby and this is my first real post to this website :grin: glad to be able to talk openly about my sexuality and whatnot in a safe place. Anywhoozies- my predicament. I'm out to practically everyone I know, anyone I meet, and my Mom (!). However, I find it incredibly and unutterably terrifying to come out to my siblings or my Dad :dry: The thing is, all my brothers are very immature (I'm the oldest) and they'd be rather insufferable about it. My Dad says he's a very "tolerant" man and that he'd be fine if me or my siblings came home with any partner of the same sex, but has often demonstrated a serious lack of understanding. He's a good guy, just not very good with anything that appears outside the norm of his fixed perspective of life (he doesn't like change). I just don't want him to think there's something "wrong" with me that he's got to "fix" if that makes any sense. I talked to my boyfriend and he's firmly and unfortunately in the closet, so he's got no good advice for me. *sigh* I dunno how to deal with this really.

2. Wildside

Wildside Guest

the title of your post is a bit ironic. in fact, the "saying" is the hard part, right? and once it's said, it's done! your dad has at least said the right words, which tells me that even if he fumbles it a bit, he wants to be supportive. and maybe he already suspects or knows, that he is bringing this up. If you're already out to your mom, why don't you talk to her about your concerns about coming out to your dad. and are you sure she hasn't told him? married people do tend to talk about things, especially when they involve their kids. I'm assuming that your parents are together, but even divorced people tend to talk about things that affect their kids.

3. alonelywalrus

Out Status:
    All but family
    Well, my brother read my phone and told the rest of my siblings :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: my father still doesn't know but I dropped a few hints to him.