1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out at 26 - really scared!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Wood, Jan 10, 2015.

1. Wood

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi- this is my first post on here. I've recently acknowledged that I'm a lesbian and although im not totally comfortable yet I'm happier than I have been in a long time. It sounds stupid but I now don't know what to do next! Id like to start telling my friends and family but I feel like no one will believe me or they will think it's just a phase. My brother came out as gay while at school and at the time I got teased a lot about it and people asked me if he was gay was I too and was it genetic and there was lots of name calling and stuff like that. Basically I think that's part of the reason it's taken me so long to accept myself. Now that I have I'm scared that people will try and convince me I'm not or I will feel too vulnerable and start suppressing myself again. Has anyone else had a similar experience or has any advice? Thanks

2. TacobellKFC

Out Status:
    A few people
    You should come out if that's what you want do...do not feel obligated to do so though cause its your life live it how you want good luck and welcome to ec :smilewave

3. bluedoh

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    If you're sure of yourself, you shouldn't feel the need to hide from anyone else.

4. gollyjolly

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    If coming out is something you feel like doing, then whether or not they believe you/think it's a phase should not stop you. Remember you are doing this FOR YOURSELF and from then on it's up to them how they act. If they don't believe you, you can try to answer questions as to why they think this. You can also explains that it's not a phase and you've felt this way for a long time. Or, you can not do either. Just remember that in the end, the only opinion that really, truly matters in your heart, is yours. If you feel like you're a lesbian, then that's it. Whether others believe it or not does not (or should not) change that. I have personally felt that whenever I come out (and I came out to my father just yesterday), I feel more connected to my sexuality and it becomes more clear than ever who I am. And when they ask me if I'm sure, I can say 'yes' without hesitating. Hope this helps somewhat!