1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I start with my new name?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by HandsomeQueen, Jan 11, 2015.

1. So I recently adopted the name 'Dark' and I ordered a pendent with the letter d on it. I plan on wearing it to school. But am I mentally ready for their questions? What should I expect? I'm only really out here and to my best friend. Do u think I should tell them my gender or tell them it's a character I like?

Anything at all will help me... So please. :help:

2. Bonaparte

Bonaparte Guest

Don't take this the wrong way, but I would maybe choose a more common name or European name because if you tell people your name is Dark, they may think you are cosplaying or referencing something like a character from a movie. You can find some names that transcribe to a meaning such as "dark," "night," "moon," etc, but if that's what you like that's cool too! I am just speaking from the perspective of a high school student, if you told me your name was Dark, I would assume you were roleplaying because the word isn't commonly used as a name; especially if I knew you before. I don't cosplay, but I know people who do really act liket heir roles, and you saying "I'm this gender," may confuse them if they think you're acting a character.

I hope you don't take this the wrong way, I like the name, it's just name changing is a difficult thing especially in high school. :slight_smile:

3. user123456

Out Status:
    Some people
    IMO you are just asking for trouble this way. Giving yourself the name "Dark" just makes it seem like you are going through an emo phase. I think you are ridiculing your big decision of not being cis-gendered by going for such a name.

May I ask what are the reasons you chose this name? How long have you been thinking about it?

I don't wanna sound harsh but I think naming yourself "Dark" is like tattooing a fallen angel on your forehead. You don't want to do that in highschool especially.

4. xylaz

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I say go ahead with it, but when people ask, give them a damn good reason why because like what others have said, it may look like a joke or a phase. Personally I have been wanting to change my name and something exotic, like Zephyr for example has a culture, history, and a special meaning. It means "west wind" btw. West is on the left, leftists movements are unconventional and rebellious. See how you change the name of something to give it a deeper meaning? Someone with that name is a rebel so to speak.
    About your gender, be more confident with it. Make it become you, not a part of you which is what"This is my gender" sounds like.

5. I totally understand and thanks. And I do roleplay a lot, as well as cosplay.... I see what you mean, I once introduced myself as Ciel Phantohmhive from Black Butler ~ lucky me they watched the anime.

---------- Post added 11th Jan 2015 at 11:47 AM ----------

Even more thanks you guys, and never mind it was rather impulsive for me to say that. And I think I would rather the pendent stand for a phrase. As for my name I'll just stick with what I got. Cause really I don't see my self being called anything different.

---------- Post added 11th Jan 2015 at 11:47 AM ----------

Not dark, just to clearify